Omega Build - McGowen .45

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awesome Kitty Cat! That's definitely a bucket list for me.
A spot and stalk lion with a muzzy has always been a dream of mine. The warden guessed this old lioness at 15-20. I guess we’ll know for sure when the tooth age data comes back. No doubt she ate a pile of deer and elk over her lifetime. They say these cats eat a deer/elk a week on average. Will make a fine addition to the trophy room!

While waiting for Mark Woodman to finish a Brux .45 barrel for an Omega build, I am trying a McGowen 24” 1:18 twist .45 barrel on an Omega platform:

McGowen 22” .45 1:18 nitrided (1” shank)
Woodman Arms 209 breech plug
Woodman Arms picatinny rail
LR Customs MZ-Rex 2 brake
Boyd’s Pro Varmint stock
Contessa 1” Light Picatinny low rings
Kahles Helia CL 3-9x40
Spartan Arms picatinny rail and bipod
Total weight: 9 lb 11 oz

View attachment 23870

This barrel has one of Mark’s adjustable-head space 209 breech plugs. The plug is an absolute work of art (as has been said before) and performs beautifully. I’m guessing all the other big names will be going to this design before long. I easily adjusted this one for about .004 crush on a Fed 209a and it is working great.

The barrel is beautiful. Mark machines a one-piece recoil-lug block and welds it to the barrel. The nitride finish is flawless. The 1” shank tapers to .888 at the brake. Mark threaded the barrel for my brake and made a nut for it. Mark recommends staying under 40k pressure in these SML barrels.

So far I’m testing light smokeless loads - 50-55 gr of H4198 and Fury 300 gr Star Tip 2p bullets with a 1/8” dry wool wad.

The very first two bullet-to-bore shots with 50 gr of powder from this rifle at 50 yards shot into one ragged hole. The barrel really seems to like 53/53.5 gr as well with that bullet. The worst group I’ve seen so far at 50 yards has been .635”.

Here at 80 degrees and 3000’ the 53 gr loads are going about 2217 fps and the 55 gr loads are running about 2335 fps at the muzzle. Recoil is fairly light.

Planning to push these 300s a little harder and move into testing some 327 gr bullets in the next day or two.

Thanks to @Mnt monkey for his advice in setting this rifle up. So far, I’m very happy with this rig!

View attachment 23875

View attachment 23873
Man thats a sweet rig there. I think I may need to look into a omega I like the cva I have I just want something a little nicer.

Try some 250 gr or 290 gr Barnes TEZs. They shoot very well out of my McGowen barrels.

I have some 275 gr but have never shot them as it has been reported that they don't consistently expand. Check out Ron's bullet tests. He tested the 275 gr for me.

Last edited:
How come no 100 yard shooting ,always 50 yard, what they doing at 100 yrds, wind or no wind excuses, curious to see how those bullets shoot. At 50 yrds with my center fire I almost get hole in a hole, 100 yrds 1/2 or under, curious to see groups at 100

Shot some 200 gr .40 Swift A-Frames/HLBS/wool wad and 57 gr of N120 in the .45 McGowen Omega. Clocked one at 2350 fps (@32 degrees here today).

View attachment 39415
View attachment 39416

And knurled some .45 Barnes 275 gr TSX bullets with 60 gr of I4198 and wool/veg wads. May have to try annealing these to see if they’ll shoot better.

View attachment 39417
View attachment 39418
Did you knurl the A frames or do they come like that? Also when do you decide a wool wad is needed? thansk!

Did you knurl the A frames or do they come like that? Also when do you decide a wool wad is needed? thansk!
I knurl the AFrames. All sized bullets get a wad (or two). With sabots, I guess I’m not terribly scientific about it. I try some with and without and examine the base of the recovered sabots for damage. Many loads don’t need a wad but I haven’t seen one increase dispersion.

How come no 100 yard shooting ,always 50 yard, what they doing at 100 yrds, wind or no wind excuses, curious to see how those bullets shoot. At 50 yrds with my center fire I almost get hole in a hole, 100 yrds 1/2 or under, curious to see groups at 100
Fifty yards gives me an idea of which loads to throw out and which to continue testing. Three shot groups don’t tell you how good a load may shoot but they may tell you how poorly. Which bullet/load do you want longer range results on?

ElDiablo that makes good sense - my sabots usually end up in a pile of leaves i never see. Ill clean off first now so i can inspect them - thanks for that tip! I agree about the 50 yard shot groups Thanks for this info very helpful!

Fifty yards gives me an idea of which loads to throw out and which to continue testing. Three shot groups don’t tell you how good a load may shoot but they may tell you how poorly. Which bullet/load do you want longer range results on?
I was just curious about a 50 yrd load, I see what you’re saying but I never really see the 100 yrd results. I get it. On regular rifles I wouldn’t think of groups at 50 because they would all be touching. I guess muzzleloader are different, I have an omega and with the right load I can touch three at 100. Just sent out for conversion. Thanks

I'm 100% sure those are the bonded version of his pinpoint they shot very well for me
At only 50yds, why not throw a rock? LOL

Just asking, what was the longest distance you shot them well? They wouldn't shoot for crap out of either the Kreiger or Rock Creek at long range. That's beyond 300yds.

At only 50yds, why not throw a rock? LOL

Just asking, what was the longest distance you shot them well? They wouldn't shoot for crap out of either the Kreiger or Rock Creek at long range. That's beyond 300yds.
Was that that Kreiger that someone gave you to help test some bullets?…

Back