Omega pricing

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J.Mol

Reaction score
I'm looking at the Omega in my local shop. It has a stainless barrel and laminate stock(not the thumbhole model). Does $419 sound like a reasonable price? Probably could do better on-line but with shipping and FFL fees to NJ, may end up costing the same.

BTW, does the hardwoods camo also experience the flexing issue associated with the composite? Both are synthetic so I would assume so.

Thanks
John

Sounds very similar to what I have seen online, maybe a little better than some.

sabotloader said:
J.Mol

Do not let the composit stock issue bother you or hold you up... it is really an easy fix....

I am new to the Omega, what synthetic thing are you guys referring to?
Mine has the thumbhole stock.

BukWild

In my mind there are a couple of issues with the TC black synthetic stock. One is the depth of the recoil lug pockets and the other is the flexibility of the forearm....

The lug pockets on some Omega stocks will and have cracked do to a combination of factors but basically recoil. If you were to compare the depth of your recoil pockect to those that you would find in a laminate stock you would see immediately what I am talking about. Of course TC warranties the stock without any problems if it does crack. Mine had several small fissures in the bottom of one of the pockets. I made a hard wood block that inserts in between the two lug pockets and lip that touches the rear of the front barrel lug. This block should stop all front to back movement or recoil movement while increasing the strength of the lug pockets.

Usually when you get a new Omega the barrel is floating in the forearm but overtime with the flexibilty of the forearm and the the tightening of the action in the stock the barreled action will start touching the forearm in different places especially near the front of the stock. These pressure points will cause your groups to open or your POI to shift. If you take a dollar bill inert it under the barrel and slide it between the barrel and the stock - it should slide all the way back to the first recoil lug without getting hung up. If it gets hung up you probably have a pressure problem against the barrel. If you remove your stock and look at the barrel channel you will see "bright" spots along the channel where the barrel has touched and poilished the plastic as you shoot and the moves against the plastic.

Just my thoughts and experiances... and as I said both of these are an easy fix....

Wow, thanks, I had no idea, I only plan on shooting 100gr of powder, does that lessen the chances of prob with the stock?

BukWild

That is all I shoot also 100 grains of T7-2f - but I do shoot it a lot...

Not all of the stocks will show or act as some of these have - that should have been said also....

Thanks sabotloader, I will keep an eye on that, so far I love the rifle, can't wait to get it to the range this weekend!

I think its a decent price also. I believe my dealer is trying to rid his stock of Omega's due to the growing popularity of the triumph. I didn't like the way the Triumph felt and I want a stainless barrel, so I guess the Omega it is!!

Latest posts

Back