Up, up and away!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrTom

Reaction score
I stopped at the local Sheels store today to look at a couple new fishing reels. They had the two models I was considering but not the sizes I want. While handling one of them I caught a peek at the price tag and almost howled....$20 more than the same reel last fall would have cost. The only difference between then and now was some added color. Dawn.

So I wandered over to the shooting department and checked out the bullet situation and decided that things are tough. I happened by the muzzleloader section and what should catch my eye? Why, nothing more than all sorts of $49.99 Blackhorn.... it's only up $15.00, but it's there in quantity. The FFFg T7 was only $25.99 so I' go back and grab a jug for the range play. Then the Optima selection grabbed my attention. I've never seen so many stainless, nitrided guns for a mere $299 in my life. Anything T/C was nonexistent. Scheels must hate Knight as well.

While looking thru all the Optimas an associate came cruising up and asked if I had any questions. Only one I said....."Do you ship this Blackhorn stuff if ordered on line?" After getting on his handy dandy walkie talkie of sorts he says the big "NADA" so I told him I was no longer in need of him and he could go pose his opening question to some other unfortunate that's probably finding things miserable in an otherwise nice store.

I really not needing any primers or Blackhorn or bullets or sabots but I'll go back and pick up one of the Blackhorn and one of the T7 FFFg. I've got maybe three hundred bucks in gift cards for the place and don't want to not use them. The reels just piss me off but this fifteen buck hop in the Blackhorn to me is nothing but a friggin money grab. Most of us know that the powder situation has changed but to actually see it locally just sucks especially in a store that has always favored the sportsman's pocketbook.

I try and stay away from the bigger stores. I bought some BH last week at the reloading store I go to for $53 a bottle. First time I’ve bought BH so no other experience to go by. Prices are up on everything, but I would rather spend a little more and help the smaller hometown businesses out.

I try and stay away from the bigger stores. I bought some BH last week at the reloading store I go to for $53 a bottle. First time I’ve bought BH so no other experience to go by. Prices are up on everything, but I would rather spend a little more and help the smaller hometown businesses out.
Buying groceries is a shocker.............

Blackhorn is about $60-65/bottle around here local. And that's if you're lucky enough to find it. No thanks.

I have three bottles BH when they are gone that's it for me I'll use 777 or black if I can get it I used 777 long before BH I always swabbed between shots so the crud ring wasn't a problem besides the first shot after sighting in was from a clean barrel the amount of times I can go shooting with my neighbor powder will last quite a while

I was in Cabelas in Owattona, Minnesota, today. Blackhorn was a chincy $64.99. T7 granular was only $49.99. I saw a 100 count package of Winchester .22 Magnum bullets....get this....$139.99 and no, no error here. After the sticker shock in the shooting department I strolled over to the fishing department. I was only in that department for about 2 minutes and was shaking my head the entire time. Ma was enjoying the bargain racks in clothing when I said let's hit the road. She asked why after being there for less than ten minutes and all I could offer for an answer is that the place sucked. It really is cheaper to shop at home. lol I never liked the sale of Cabelas to Bass Pro and today's little visit confirmed why. I hope the chain sinks.

I was in Cabelas in Owattona, Minnesota, today. Blackhorn was a chincy $64.99. T7 granular was only $49.99. I saw a 100 count package of Winchester .22 Magnum bullets....get this....$139.99 and no, no error here. After the sticker shock in the shooting department I strolled over to the fishing department. I was only in that department for about 2 minutes and was shaking my head the entire time. Ma was enjoying the bargain racks in clothing when I said let's hit the road. She asked why after being there for less than ten minutes and all I could offer for an answer is that the place sucked. It really is cheaper to shop at home. lol I never liked the sale of Cabelas to Bass Pro and today's little visit confirmed why. I hope the chain sinks.
I was in the Noblesville, Indiana Cabela's store yesterday. They no longer carry a big selection of muzzleloading accessories and supplies. Same thing with the crossbow section- virtually no accessories or supplies. And they have done away with the "bargain cave". After walking around for a while, I mumbled to myself "this place sucks" and then left lol. The store is definitely not what it used to be.

I was in the Noblesville, Indiana Cabela's store yesterday. They no longer carry a big selection of muzzleloading accessories and supplies. Same thing with the crossbow section- virtually no accessories or supplies. And they have done away with the "bargain cave". After walking around for a while, I mumbled to myself "this place sucks" and then left lol. The store is definitely not what it used to be.

Corporate America at it's best. This is what happens when you have bean counters running the business. Screw the customers base that built the PRIVATELY owned company. Now that they are a publicly owned company the bean counters only worry about the stock holders and senior management. Cabelas started circling the drain the minute it went public. The Bass Pro buyout just accelerated it. IMO.

Yeah seemed like cabelas turned to crap almost over night. Ive never been in a basspro so i had no idea what to expect. I thought they might just step up their fishing game a bit. Just a big disappointment now. I really loved the bargain cave.

Yeah seemed like cabelas turned to crap almost over night. Ive never been in a basspro so i had no idea what to expect. I thought they might just step up their fishing game a bit. Just a big disappointment now. I really loved the bargain cave.

Thier fishing deptmant......what a joke. They has aisles and aisles of tackle.....branded for BassPro. Any other name brand tackle was mostly sold out. What does that tell you?

Back