Omega with Short Black Sabot

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lee 9

Reaction score
I went to the range today put a new Nikon Omega scope on the Triumph, since some one had ask about using the Omega with the Short Black and BH I thought I would check it out after sighting in for hunting I shot both guns for group. The groups were about the same .80 for the Triumph and .85 for the Omega they just seem to keep tearing out the same hole; That's for 5 shots each by the way, could not match that one hole group I shot the other day but it was 90 degrees with a 10 to 12 mile wind so I felt good about the day. Lee

Lee 9

Life is so tough when you really now how to shoot.... it almost like you are not human - or maybe like those Air Force/Navy jet pilots that are really good and the rest of us mere mortals just have to find our way....

Mike, off the bench its hard to miss, its got more to do with finding some thing that will shoot good consistantly. When I started using BH and the flyiers disappeared of the loads that shoot good it really made a differance. Now with the powder working right some things that were not easy to spot before like which sabot works good with which bullet are coming to light. Actually I did not come up with that Grouse and 6x6 did but I am taking full advantage of it, its getting harder and harder to get out of the range and on down the road to what I am supposed to be doing.
I keep wanting to go back and do it again when I already am sure I know what its doing. Lee

Yep I love going to the range too! Only thing...from now until hunting season the range gets busier and BUSIER! ..AND the people get dangerous... So I try to get things sorted out before it gets too busy..

Amen on the range getting busier...with every passing weekend, I notice the crowds picking up, and not everyone is familiar with what they are doing!!!

I am lucky in that the local IWLA (Issac Walton League) range has certified Range Safety Officers who are very good at keeping the unsafe folks in line...

Just this past weekend, I witnessed two unsafe acts and before I could even move 10 feet to correct the act, the IWLA RSO was already there making the proper correction and ensuring the new person understood the range rules for safety.

A good RSO is worth his weight in bullets!

Lee 9, How much powder were you shooting? I'll be shooting my Omega this weekend and that is the set up I'll be using. BH209, Short Black sabot. I was going to start at 77 gr./weight or 110 gr. volume. What do you think. I will be shooting the 250 gr shockwave and some 200 gr. SW with the blue sabot. Great shooting. Hope I can get mine to shoot that well.

I was using 120gr of BH209 I start at 90 and work up with most bullets I hit the point where the group opens up at 110gr with SST or SW250 I reached the recommended limit for the powder first. The Strain gage is not showing what I consider to much pressure about the same as 110 of 777. I consider this an excellant load. Lee

110-120gr Blackhorn 209 with a 250gr bullet. Be sure to try both an MMP short black AND a Harvester short black sabot.

Latest posts

Back