One Happy Camper

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrTom

Reaction score
I've looked for what seems forever for this particular gun and have found that there just aren't many round to be had and those that were had been rode hard and put away wet. Pawn shops were the worst for junker black powder guns and sidelocks seemed to be a scourge to them. Then Fishhawk 2700 pm'd me. After some picture swapping we did some money swapping and then today, finally and no thanks to the US postal service, it arrived and I can only sit here and grin like a fool kid after his first kiss.

otQh0u0.jpg

Sorry for the clutter in the picture...focus on the gun. lol Finally, a wood stock again and finally, a sidelock in .54 cal. I opened the box with the mailman standing right here and he thought it was a dandy. Ma likes the wood. Me, I love every aspect of it and can't thank Greg [fishhawk2700] enough for getting to me with pictures and the conversations between and finally working thru the deal. I thank him as well for putting this gun in a legitimate shipping case to get it to me.

Its been so long since I've done anymore than shoulder a side lock that I have a lot to re-learn. I plan to start with true black powder if I can find any locally, although I may try some T7 granulated too. I have a couple Treso replacement nipples coming too.....thanks Idaholewis for the info on these! I have on order some of the swaged lead Hornady maxi-type bullets and will also order some purple and red .54 sabots along with some 300 grain , .50 cal xtps. I have a pile of 250 and 300 grain .451/.452 xtps on hand that I no longer use so I should be set. A couple cleaning/loading jags and brushes plus some caps and I should be good to go for a range day if we ever warm up.

I had a set-trigger .54 Renegade a looooooong time ago and took several deer with it but didn't care for the triggers and guard so when inlines came along I sold the Renegade and bought the inline. T/C came along with this model of Renegade and I search all over for one but then found out T/C had dropped production of it and other side locks and I thought I'd never see one of these to own. Its been a journey to say the least. I'm happy!

Thanks again fishhawk2700 for the gun. Thanks to everyone else here that have offered help and hints with this. I can't wait to hit the range.

Congrats on the new (to you) gun Tom. You will love it. My first ml was a 54 cal renegade and it put meat in the freezer using patched round balls. Super accurate. Enjoy.

Sent from my ME301T using Tapatalk

That is a SUPER nice looking old Rifle MrTom!! I am happy for ya that everything worked out and it’s finally in your hands! :yeah: That old rifle will do everything you need, From Mice to Moose!

MrTom, If you would like a small sampling of 54cal sabots and bullets to try send me a PM with your mailing address and I will make you up a small care package to try in your rifle. Cuts down on costly experiments.

Latest posts

Back