One more joined the club

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exMember

Reaction score

This time a 77 CJ5! 36K Original miles, bought it from the original owner who bought it brand new. The jeep was repainted its original color in '03. It needs a real good buff after sitting in the barn for all these years, but I tested a spot and the color came out really nice. No rust holes or dents. The original owner paid more for the paint job than what we paid for it. Has a 258 6cyl like my blue CJ.

It was said to have a 4 speed, but sadly when we got there, I drove it onto the trailer and noticed that its another 3 speed screamer.

My brother and I spent some time in the shop looking it over. Fuel tank will get drained as it smells pretty sweet. <a href='/tags/5' rel='nofollow' title='See all tagged subjects with: #5'>#5</a> cylinder was misfiring, so we swapped plugs with cylinder 1, and then that cylinder was the one misfiring lol. We'll get parts for a tune up. Shes just but sitting for a long while since the paint job. In fact, they didn't even install light bulbs for the brakes!

Oh! DISC brakes up front too! My CJ has drums all the way around which makes for some real interesting braking in traffic if you are not careful.

We'll do a tune up, motor flush, radiator flush and start from there. Not much work, just time consuming as always.

Super find FG with vintage low mileage. :shock:  

Amazing how simple the designs were back then.  You'll have fun tinkering with your new toy. :)

Huntin_Dawg1215 said:
That's a great find. How you going to drive two of them. You could make one your Sunday Jeep?
My brother bought this one, so i'll let him break it lol.

The owner filled the tires with foam. I am wondering if you can pull the tires off and remove that crap? Its actually really scary to drive because it feels like you are on ice :affraid:

FrontierGander said:
The owner filled the tires with foam. I am wondering if you can pull the tires off and remove that crap? Its actually really scary to drive because it feels like you are on ice.
I'm not sure if you mean the stuff like is in "Fix-a-Flat" cans but whenever I used one in a leaking or flat tire, the tire shop cussed me when they fixed it because of "that crap" in there.

No this is actual foam filled tires. They did it for rough terrain so flats are no longer an issue. Damn tires look like new, but ive read they will have to be cut off because of the foam.

Picked up a couple hundred bucks worth of parts today. Both headlights were actually out. Along with the dimmer switch, brake switch and headlight switch. Not sure how all that goes out, but its fixed and the lights are working.

New plugs and she started right up on the second rotation and purrs like a kitten.

Flushing the motor out now and will call it a night after that.

I really wish that one had that one! I was looking forward to a 4 speed. That's ok, I dont like doing 75 in these things anyway. The power steering however is a huge welcome. It seems to take out a lot of the bump steer.

Man, my brother took a rear wheel off today. He told me to go pick it up.. I couldnt! At least 150lbs or more due to the foam inside of them!

If we end up adding the aluminum 1/4 panel and rocker panel trim, it will be black as its easier to care for.

We were looking at these rims. I think a blacked out look would look nice with the color. I spent some time buffing the paint today and its coming out nice, but its a very slow process even with my buffing wheel.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vision-85-Soft-8-15x8-5x139-7-5x5-5-19mm-Gloss-Black-Wheel-Rim-/292141697579?fits=Make%3AJeep%7CModel%3ACJ5&epid=1837972076&hash=item4405008a2b:g:yIAAAOSwX9FZNhie&vxp=mtr

boy what a difference! Suspension is almost done. We have to install new bushings on the sway bar and leaf springs. After that, its pressure wash everything clean, prime, paint under carriage, wash motor, detail it and then figure out what else to do. Maybe add some aftermarket tail lights?

She runs like new after my brother drained the old fuel out.

The new rims and tires made a huge difference in its stance. Before it was weak looking. My brother bought some new 15x7 rims and added 31x10.5r15 dirt commander tires and the stance just is so perfect now. I really like the black rims with just a little chrome showing. He had a bad hub one the driver side ( someone packed it full of grease and ruined it ) looks real good now with the aftermarket hubs.
img_9510.jpg

Back