Opinions on Custom Rifle

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is pretty. It has some nice parts. I would need a good reason to 
spend that much on it. Maybe you have one.

We are close to custom build territory with that price. With 2 years 
of patience and 3,500.00 you can start talking to Clay Smith about 
his builds. Of course, you can spend a lot more.

Does it 'speak' to you? That is the question.

Colonel
My only reason is I want one nice longrifle. I have several Hawken style rifles and a hawken squirrel rifle on its way being built by John Bergmann of Tenn. I only have one flint and I would like another. I am considering offering them about 500 less than there asking price as the gun is on consignment. May be a lost cause but you dont know until you try. There is another on ALR thats nice to and considerably less I have thought about. Al

Keep an eye on the classifieds on all the forums. Some really nice rifles show up for a whole lot less.

There are some rifles in .45 and .40 plus a couple of smoothbores on another traditional site. A couple of them have swamped barrels.

patocazador said:
Keep an eye on the classifieds on all the forums. Some really nice rifles show up for a whole lot less.

There are some rifles in .45 and .40 plus a couple of smoothbores on another traditional site. A couple of them have swamped barrels.
 I agree Bob theres one in 40 on ALR that is real nice for half of this one

I agree that for the price I would expect better carving......I'd wait or look around some more. Send me a message about what you are looking for and I'll help you look.........if you want! :thumbs up:

Thanks Doug but the rifle you sent me is really nice and I am sure is worth the money I just dont think I want to spend that much for one. After thinking about what has been said here about the rifle at TOW I think I will pass on that offer. There is a rifle on ALR in 40 cal that has my interest at the moment and I might think about it. Im really not sure what I am looking for or I would let you be of assistance. Im just looking right now. Al

Thanks Doug
I did see the rifles at Clay Smith. I do like the TVM rifles. The gun works had a 50 cal Leman by them for sale that I liked also. The TVM you sent I looked at quite a bit. Al

Maybe I am unrealistic, but a $3000 price sticker on a muzzleloader frightens me away.
Yes, I have seen the rifles on ALR listed for $7000 or more, but I am forced to pass those by.
My eyes do widen when I see a nice one for $1400 or so. That's talking my economic language.
Ron

BigAl52 said:
Colonel
My only reason is I want one nice longrifle. I have several Hawken style rifles and a hawken squirrel rifle on its way being built by John Bergmann of Tenn. I only have one flint and I would like another. I am considering offering them about 500 less than there asking price as the gun is on consignment. May be a lost cause but you dont know until you try. There is another on ALR thats nice to and considerably less I have thought about. Al
Can't hurt, they can only say no.

Price all depends on priorities. I notice that some guys have several production rifles in their collections.....added together they might cost the same as one really nice period fancy flintlock or cap gun. I could own more guns, but I can only shoot one at a time. When I used to teach the muzzleloading section of hunter's ed in Colorado, I used to ask what the ultimate desire was for a gun of a newly introduced hunter to muzzleloading. If they had interest in history and hunting, then I would direct them to the guns that fit that era. If hunting only, then I'd direct them to cheaper mass produced cap guns. Most of the time the historian shoots a lot more than the big game hunter who usually hauls out his modern muzzleloader and runs a few rounds just before hunting season. Now by those sharing their recent targets, there's lot of guys here who, though own modern muzzleloaders, they obviously shoot a lot and are greatly concerned with accuracy. I own a couple of nice custom muzzleloaders that I had to sell a few guns to be able to afford.........My personal priority is for traditional hunting with authentic period pieces. No superiority in that, just a different philosophy. I once had a buddy tell me it was better to have one gun that you shot a lot and knew it well than to have several that you only shot occasionally and couldn't hit the broadside of a barn........part of the reason that I finally arrived at a "smooth rifle" which allows me to hunt anything in North American from small game/upland game waterfowl to big game up to and including moose. :thumbs up:

A rifle as nice as that one can be had for close to half the price they're asking.

TOW offered me HALF PRICE for two very clean Shiloh Sharps rifles I have equipped with $700.00 sights! I laughed!!

I guess they figured I needed to sell....and was senile at that!! :lol!: :Wow:

Back