optima v2 pistol 209 breech plug(shot pistol today 9/15)

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Where's the best place to order the 209 breech plug for the optima v2 pistol and also will the optima v2 rifle 209 plug work?

well received the breech plug today and my neighbor was getting his .308 on paper at 25 yds and ask if I wanted to shoot..loaded up 5 vials of BH209 w/75 gr by volume and 5 Speer 300 gr. Deep curls w/mmp24 sabots.. gun was zeroed with 200 gr Shockwaves last year so wanted to see if these would be anywhere close.. walked over and forgot my shooting stick so shot offhand at 25 yds with my Bushnell Elite scope on 4x..1st 4 shots were about 1.5 in. high and a little left of center in about 2.5 in. and the 5th shot was dead on horizontally but 3 in. right.. so would say it will shoot them pretty decent off bench, trigger guard was coming back and busting me in my middle knuckle no matter how securely I gripped gun so going to have to wear a glove if shooting much..

Re: optima v2 pistol 209 breech plug

They are the same breech plugs as the rifles.

There are 2 choices of manufacture to choose from. Western Powders, and CVA Blackhorn Breech Plugs. The Western Powders breech plug is the better of the two, IMO, because it contains a kit for cleaning as well as the wrench for initial seating. Both work extremely well.

Western Powders complete kit includes breech plug, pin vise, drill bit, initial seating wrench, and o-rings.

https://www.westernpowders.com/breech_p ... uct_id=147

CVA

https://cva.com/product/blackhorn-qrbp- ... -and-wolf/

If you do a search, you might be able to find them for little better price. I think Ed's Gunshop carries both, or at least they used to. Ask for Carlos.

Attachments

• 0470-228x228.jpg
    0470-228x228.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 373

Besides the drill bit, pin vise and o-rings, the Western Powders and CVA breech plugs are virtually identical. A lot of places carry them and if you do a Google search, you won't have any trouble finding them. You want what they call the "2010+ Accura/Optima" version, which is the quick release model that screws out without tools. There is also a stock version of the breech plug, the same that came with the firearm when new, and a BH209 model. Make sure you get the one you want. If it is the first time you installed a new breech plug, there is a specific installation procedure using the tool supplied with the new breech plug.

The machining is better on the Western Powders breech plug. They were the first to do it, and gave CVA the OK to copy It. CVA was a bit reluctant at first, because they were/are in bed with Hodgdon/IMR with the White Hots. The OEM breech plug was designed to shoot pelletized powder. Finally, consumer pressure for a reliable breech plug to shoot Blackhorn 209, made them change their mind. One of the best moves they could have made, IMO. For their customers, maybe not so much for them.

Even though it has BLACKHORN stamped on the back side of the CVA plug, that does not mean it's only good for just Blackhorn 209. It's a good/better plug choice for shooting all Black Powders and loose BP Subs, including Hodgdon/IMR Pyrodex Select/RS/P, Triple Se7en FFG/FFFG.

dbowling said:
bought the CVA plug off ebay for 29.00 free shipping should be here the 18th or sooner.

Did you buy a plug wrench (or do you already have one)? The CVA plug I purchased did not come with a wrench, so I had to buy one separately.

I've bought several of the 209 plugs for Optima and Accura CVA's and they all came with the wrench. I have several original plugs that are going to be converted soon [as per Ron's technique]. I will suggest you get a plug for each gun and to not use a plug that has been crushed to seal in one gun in another, keep the plug unique to the gun you bought it for.

I am going to suggest that you back away from using magnum primers in the pistol when using the 209 powder though. I have found that the cci magnum primers really can add to the dirtying of the flash hole quickly. I'm not sure why but maybe its due to the shorter barrel length offering a shorter burn time for the powder and priming components. Winchester 209 [blue box] seemed to eliminate the issues I encountered with the 209 powder even with the 209 plug in the short gun. And the pistol with 209 likes a real solid pack on the powder.

I'm doing a 63 grain [weighed] load of 209 with a green sabot and a .44 cal 240 grain XTP for a hunting load this fall. The sabot can be either a standard or crush rib....doesn't matter. 45 cal bullets in the 250 grain XTP perform well too using the same powder charge only the groups open up slightly at 50 yards, but this load with the 250 grain xtp is a real hammer on deer inside the fifty yard mark. I've done the full 70 grain weighed load [the maximum 100 grain by volume] of 209 powder and a 300 grain bullet but the grips on these pistols are not real hand friendly with that sort of recoil and those max loads are definitely not needed for deer. I did 10 rounds one morning using the 300 XTP and 70 grains of 209 and my palm was bruised. I can do 30 rounds using the 240 grain load and not even notice it.

MrTom said:
I am going to suggest that you back away from using magnum primers in the pistol when using the 209 powder though. I have found that the cci magnum primers really can add to the dirtying of the flash hole quickly. I'm not sure why but maybe its due to the shorter barrel length offering a shorter burn time for the powder and brimming components. Winchester 209 [blue box] seemed to eliminate the issues I encountered with the 209 powder even with the 209 plug in the short gun. And the pistol with 209 likes a real solid pack on the powder.

Interesting, maybe it does have something to do with the barrel length. I have experienced just the opposite with my CVA rifles. The CCI Magnum primers produce about the same, or slightly less flash channel fouling than the Winchester blue box 209s, and the fouling is definitely much softer and easier to remove with a drill bit.

My CVA long guns with the 209 plugs like the CCI 209m primers but they will foul things up worse when used in the pistol. The Winnies work just fine. Both brands shoot clean without any blow back.

it said that it came with the wrench so hopefully it does.

Tannhauser said:
dbowling said:
bought the CVA plug off ebay for 29.00 free shipping should be here the 18th or sooner.

Did you buy a plug wrench (or do you already have one)? The CVA plug I purchased did not come with a wrench, so I had to buy one separately.

Winchester 209`s are what I use, gun was zeroed with the 200 gr Shockwave and was very accurate but think I'm going to shoot the 300 gr. Deep Curls this year if it shoots them decent.. Will find out when plug arrives.

MrTom said:
I've bought several of the 209 plugs for Optima and Accura CVA's and they all came with the wrench. I have several original plugs that are going to be converted soon [as per Ron's technique]. I will suggest you get a plug for each gun and to not use a plug that has been crushed to seal in one gun in another, keep the plug unique to the gun you bought it for.

I am going to suggest that you back away from using magnum primers in the pistol when using the 209 powder though. I have found that the cci magnum primers really can add to the dirtying of the flash hole quickly. I'm not sure why but maybe its due to the shorter barrel length offering a shorter burn time for the powder and priming components. Winchester 209 [blue box] seemed to eliminate the issues I encountered with the 209 powder even with the 209 plug in the short gun. And the pistol with 209 likes a real solid pack on the powder.

I'm doing a 63 grain [weighed] load of 209 with a green sabot and a .44 cal 240 grain XTP for a hunting load this fall. The sabot can be either a standard or crush rib....doesn't matter. 45 cal bullets in the 250 grain XTP perform well too using the same powder charge only the groups open up slightly at 50 yards, but this load with the 250 grain xtp is a real hammer on deer inside the fifty yard mark. I've done the full 70 grain weighed load [the maximum 100 grain by volume] of 209 powder and a 300 grain bullet but the grips on these pistols are not real hand friendly with that sort of recoil and those max loads are definitely not needed for deer. I did 10 rounds one morning using the 300 XTP and 70 grains of 209 and my palm was bruised. I can do 30 rounds using the 240 grain load and not even notice it.

dbowling said:
it said that it came with the wrench so hopefully it does.

Some do come with the wrench, and some don't for the CVA Blackhorn plug. If it says it does, you should be GTG.

The Western Powders plug kits come with the plug, wrench, pin vise, drill bit, and o-rings.

I use Nobel Sport European 209/686 Primers Made in Italy, in my CVA brand Breech Plugs. They are larger diameter than the U.S. made primers, and fit the CVA plugs better. No problems igniting Blackhorn 209.

Attachments

• images_(3).jpg
    images_(3).jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 252

Ive also used the Nobel, Cheddite and Fiocchi primers in CVA pre QRBP plugs. They fit just fine but are a tad shorter. Not a problem though if you get a shim kit or use the o-ring.

GM54-120 said:
Ive also used the Nobel, Cheddite and Fiocchi primers in CVA pre QRBP plugs. They fit just fine but are a tad shorter. Not a problem though if you get a shim kit or use the o-ring.

Tad shorter than what? The old Winchester W209?

My Nobel Sport primers are longer than the last Winchester W209's I purchased. I just measured the length of 10 NSI primers, the shortest was 0.3005", and the longest was 0.3025". Most were right at 0.3015".

The last Winchester W209's I purchased were under 0.300", ranging from 0.297" to 0.300", averaging around 0.298" - 0.299". The Federal 209A and the CCI 209/209M average around 0.298"ish as well. That's why I quit buying the Winchester W209's, because I already have several Federal 209A's CCI 209/209M's at that length.

I have not tested the Cheddite or Fiocchi, so they may be shorter? I found what I was looking for in the NSI Primers, so didn't explore the other European Primers.

I know that from Lot# to Lot#, there can and will be variation, so YMMV?

Here is a chart I made around 10 years ago just for reference. The old Winchester W209's measured from 0.300" - 0.305", averaging 0.302". The last W209's I purchased averaged about 0.004" less, at 0.298"ish.

Click on chart and expand for clarity.

Attachments

• 1505562712673-477378860.jpg
    1505562712673-477378860.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 198
Oops my bad. Only the others were shorter. Not the Nobels.
331d3jb.jpg

Latest posts

Back