Orange Sabot with .451 bullets in Omega

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Henry Miles

Reaction score
I just acquired an Omega in 50cal, blued barrel. Nearly new with very few shots. It was really tight with Hornady black sabots so I thought I would experiment and just try a MMP orange sabot made for .458 bullets with the .451 250gr Barnes bullet. It loaded with much less effort, of course. I turned the barrel on end and tamped it on the carpeted concrete floor a couple times to try and dislodge it. It didn't move so I'm confident it will stay in place during normal carry and hunting conditions. I fired 3 consecutive shots to the exact same point of impact with black sabots and 80gr of BH209. The spent primers look perfect. Has anyone tried this before now with successful results? I'm kinda new around here.

Yes, the loaded OD is close to the same as the MMP 3P-EZ. Right around .500 loaded OD. If you put a .458 in a 3P-EZ you get roughly .505 which i about the same as a .458 in the 50x458 sabot. So both are very close if you swap bullets around.

Thanks, that helps. I learned something for future reference. It works great, by the way.

Latest posts

Back