PA DEER SEASON COUNTDOWN!!!!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loggy

Reaction score
Know there are a few PA Boys here!

Only 2 more days & its PA Deer Season....Finally!!!!

My 18' Summit MegaSampson Ladderstand has been out at my favorite Hot Spot since Early ML Season in October. I bot it this past Summer ...talk about a piece of equipment!

This year in WMU 3B there are running Bear along with Deer ( week 1 of of 2)......first time ever! Usually during Regular Deer is when I see my Bear.....will see what happens this year. Likely will see neither now! :lol:

My plan is to take my Henry Ball 10 ML-II loaded with Barnes 300 MZ Expanders w/45 grains AA 5744.

Leaving early tomorrow and will be back Friday or Saturday. Have 2 Doe Tags, one Buck & one Bear. One Deer Tag will be saved for Late Flintlock Only Season in Dec/January. Already used a DMAP Doe Tag on a doe taken last month with my White Super 91.

Best of luck to all you PA Guys heading out for Monday's Regular Deer Season. Hope you bag that Trophy of your Dreams!!! :D

Barnes 300 Bullets

Hi Loggy:

What kind of accuracy and velocity are you getting with the Barnes 300 MZ expander bullets with AA5744 @ 45 grains?

I want to get a Savage 10-ML-II and have been putting it off after some other Xmass shopping.

Hope you made out better first two days of PA deer season than I did. I saw one lil measley buck and a slew of doe. No shots taken.

I also have a lake house in Gouldsboro PA with the extended bear season, did not see Mr. Bear anywhere either. I have a 600 lb + ....big boy that destroyed my wife's bird feeders five times. No luck finding him either.... LOL

Regards... Jim P.

:) Hi Jim,

Last time I Chronied load (45 grains AA-5744) with packaged Barnes sabots, Win 209's it was a lil over 2,200 fps. It is extremely accurate in my 10 ML-II.

Took a large doe in first hour Monday & hunted through Thursday with no Bear sighted (WMU 3B) or were any shots offered on Bucks I was comfortable in taking.

PA Late Flintlock Season is next on tap! I cant get out next week.

Cant think of a better Xmas gift than a Savage 10 ML-II. :D

Deer & Stuff

Hi Loggy:

Congrats on the Doe. I got lucky yesterday, Saturday at 4:00 PM I saw three buck in five minutes. I did manage to get a decent eight pointer in the fading light at about 150 yards.

Sorry to say I wasn't using a Muzzleloader though, it was my Sako Finnlite 270 WSM. Took him in Kingsley PA.

I also have a TC Hawken 50 cal Flintlock. I am going to try round balls and a patch this year. I just can't seem to get the TC Maxi's to shoot.

I ordered a Savage ML-10, one for me and one for my nephew. These will be my project over the winter.

I want to try your recipe with the 250 grain Barnes Bullets. I was looking for around 2500 to 2600 FPS. My buddy is getting that with a different load, but I will have to experiment a bit.

Thanks for the info.

Take Care... Jim P.

To PA Hunter You will like the ML Savage. I get better accuracy out of 300 grain bullets however than 250.

Back