Paper cartridges for inlines

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Half-Cocked

Reaction score
As many of you know I use Cap and ball revolvers as well as inline bp rifles and modern arms.

I took something that I learned from the cap ball revolver and tried to transition it into the inline muzzleloading world.

During the civil war it was common practice for soldiers to use paper cartridges to aid in the speed of reloading. many people who are into Cap ball revolvers also make paper cartridges for themselves.

So I thought to myself hey why not a paper cartridge built for a modern inline muzzle loader. This may be particularly useful if you need to take a follow-up shot while hunting game.

The following is the series of pictures showing a few paper cartridges that I've made for my 50 cal CVA wolf.

In experimenting some are different diameters they range from full bore to about 3/4 the size of the bore.

Eventually I hope to take him to the range to give him a final test to make sure that they ignite properly with the 209 primer caps and don't leave a large amount of unburned material or material that is ejected out the muzzle and on to the nearby grounds potentially causing a fire hazard.

I can tell you that the paper cartridges have worked with some measure of success in my cap and ball revolver.

Onto the photos...

Here's a sample of three different sizes.
IMG_20201005_021452_7.jpg

The following is a series of photos showing you the basic premise.

IMG_20201005_021527_7.jpg

IMG_20201005_021535_1.jpgIMG_20201005_021537_5.jpg
IMG_20201005_021541_4.jpg

the full bore style cartridge work similarly unfortunately the files were too large to upload however you get the idea.

Just wanted to give an update to this thread I finally tried out the paper cartridges that I created and they worked flawlessly. I was very happy with the results so if anybody's interested in trying this out go for it.

If tape is used to secure the paper to the sabot I'd be a bit concerned about what its leaving cooked into the rifling. cellophane tape would most certainly melt at powder ignition temps. Interesting idea though....let us know what you find at cleaning time.

I agree with Mr. Tom plus no real need for them w/speed loaders just as fast to dump powder in bore and ram bullet/sabot down barrel.. might be a second or two faster with paper cartridge.

I used Elmer's white glue to attach the paper to sabot.

Cleanup was no different as the paper had burned off entirely.

This actually worked a lot better than my cap and ball paper cartridges. The additional powder and the 209 primer burn hotter than the 12 grain load of bp I use in cap and ball. In that situation the paper never burns entirely and eventually locks up the revolvers action.

It offers a slight edge over speed loaders. Its one self contained piece so that's convenient. Plus it's something to do between shooting that can be done on rainy days.

I agree with Mr. Tom plus no real need for them w/speed loaders just as fast to dump powder in bore and ram bullet/sabot down barrel.. might be a second or two faster with paper cartridge.

It's a bit faster but requires more in home prep. Although it is faster it's also very fun to make. Plus no tube to mess with before and after.

i know I’m resurrecting a necro-thread but I asked this last year and got no responses.

half-cocked:
1- what powder are you using in your inline paper cartridges and if it’s 777 did the paper cartridge reduce the crud ring at all?

2- what type of paper and technique are you using to make the nitrided paper?

Latest posts

Back