Paper Patch, Direction of Wrap?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idaholewis

Reaction score
Something i ran across quite sometime ago and found interesting, Which way do you wrap your papers? I wrap mine like the one on the right. Has anyone found it made a difference one way vs the other? According to this i am wrapping for a left hand twist? My results tell me i will continue wrapping for a left hand twist :D
oae1Rod.jpg

Idaholewis said:
Something i ran across quite sometime ago and found interesting, Which way do you wrap your papers? I wrap mine like the one on the right. Has anyone found it made a difference one way vs the other? According to this i am wrapping for a left hand twist? My results tell me i will continue wrapping for a left hand twist :D

Well your darn lucky your not unthreading that paper clean off the bullet :lol:

waarp8nt said:
Idaholewis said:

Well your darn lucky your not unthreading that paper clean off the bullet :lol:

:lol: I plan to try both ways and see if i can tell any difference? My bet is NOT? When i got started Paper Patching it just felt natural to wrap like the right bullet, it was definitely the easiest way for me, so i went with it.

45cal said:
might try cross patch

.45cal, i have thought about trying it several times but just haven’t done it. Close as I’ve came to trying this is Back when i was looking for a way to tighten up my PP bullets for my style of hunting, I came up with a Method that worked very well, i tested this several times to make sure it was repeatable before heading afield. I found this method made no difference in my POI, And my Groups stayed identical. I cut single strips of Paper Mill Store 9# onion skin paper (really slick stuff!) .500 wide, and 1.8” long, layed it evenly (by eye) across the bore and started my Bullet, They load TIGHT, and definitely stay put!

This method tightened my cold clean bore up GOOD N TIGHT, It gave me the confidence i needed to deer hunt with my PP bullets and not worry about my bullet possibly moving off the powder charge. I filled my Doe Permit using this method.

rJY612u.jpg

ZWsw1kP.jpg

OfrUaKU.jpg

45cal said:
Like good idea

It works like a charm! I tested the Cold Clean bore shot 4 days in a Row and nothing was effected. I love my Paper Patched bullets, but i sure had some SERIOUS trust issues with them sliding off the powder charge in a hunting situation from getting bumped/jarred around (I actually found a bullet in the bottom of my soft gun case that had slid out of the Paper Jacket on a 2 mile drive, Talk about a confidence CRASH!!) One needs to think, a 400 PLUS Grain bullet is just like a Kinetic Bullet puller, If your Muzzle takes a hard Bump from a Fall, Driving up an old rough logging road, etc. etc. That BIG Heavy bullet can EASILY Slip off the Powder Charge, You see a shooter Deer/Elk Whatever you are after, Jump out and take the Shot! You quite possibly Just Ruined your barrel by ‘Ringing’ it. It’s not worth the chance to me. I ALWAYS advise a guy to go for 9s in finish dies, .449 for .45 Cal, .499 for .50, and .539 for .54, Again this really comes down to a per bore basis, but im Confident you are safe finish/Iron sizing at 9s.

I can’t imagine heading out on a Hunt with a Paper Patched bullet that is sized ANYTHING under 9s, unless i could keep my barrel pointed straight up all the time, like on a Whitetail Stand type Hunt where i would be sitting. When i shoot from my bench at Targets i prefer my bullets to slide down my Bores with the weight of my Rangerod, with very little help, maybe just my thumb and index finger. But this is a DISASTER waiting to happen in a Hunting Rifle, This is My opinion of course, and I’m sticking with it :D

That's a page from the book 'The paper jacket' by Paul Mathews. The shallow rifling he was describing was about .002-.0025 used for a time when it was thought the PP needed very shallow rifling. (pg 60) It has since been proven, a PP bullet does not need shallow rifling, and works just as well in a deep groove roundball barrel.

Squeeze said:
That's a page from the book 'The paper jacket' by Paul Mathews. The shallow rifling he was describing was about .002-.0025 used for a time when it was thought the PP needed very shallow rifling. (pg 60) It has since been proven, a PP bullet does not need shallow rifling, and works just as well in a deep groove roundball barrel.
Shallow rifling was for hard bullets. Mimic Whitworth's mechanically fitted bullets (hard) which required minimal upsetting.
I agree, soft will upset in any depth - even a round bullet in a Whitworth.

I played with wrapping directions, even straight years ago - could not tell a difference (from sketch, I wrap left - the way I was shown). Always felt a tight wrap 'burst' when it expanded as much as the rifling cut, plus it comes out of the barrel above MACH 1 - who can hold on? ha
I'm somewhere between 10-15K PP bullets shot- I never once had anything indicate the paper stuck to the bullet. I also patch dry.

Squeeze said:

Squeeze, I haven’t read that book, But I know for a fact from hands on experience that a deep sharp rifling WILL ABSOLUTELY shoot a PP bullet well! My Lyman Great Plains Hunter 1:32 twist Bullet shooter in .54 Cal has the deepest/sharpest Riflings i have EVER seen in any rifle, It literally scars my Cleaning Jag. And This rifle is truly a Paper Patched shootin machine! From my smallest 450 Grain Paper Patched Bullet, to my Largest 650 Grain, She’s not at all picky!

Here is a 54 Cal Jag from My Lyman Plains Hunter 1:32, EXTREMELY Sharp and DEEP riflings
QARJIou.jpg

KEFdAVp.jpg

Typical Group from this rifle
cYkUFeg.jpg

Do you like it that sharp? A new barrel will shred patches for a break in period, then it seems to smooth the edges a bit, and patches come out clean (roundball patches when shot) Is it a relatively new barrel? Or have you shot many Patched balls from it?

Squeeze said:
Do you like it that sharp? A new barrel will shred patches for a break in period, then it seems to smooth the edges a bit, and patches come out clean (roundball patches when shot) Is it a relatively new barrel? Or have you shot many Patched balls from it?

Squeeze, I bought My Rifle Brand new a couple years ago. This is the Great Plains Hunter 1:32 Fast Twist bullet barrel, i have never shot a patched roundball in it. I was talking Paper Patched bullets, I have shot a few GG bullets through it as well, but mostly Paper Patched. The DEEP sharp rifling has no ill effect whatsoever on the way this rifle shoots a PP bullet. I polished this bore REALLY good when i first got it with Montana Extreme Bore Polishing Compound, About 150-200 Strokes, Which definitely helped! I have no problem with it being Sharp like this, It shoots as good as any rifle i own.

Back