Patch Knife from THe Mountain Man Emporium - Two Feathers

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RonRC

Reaction score
I purchased a patch knife from Two Feathers and his Mountain Man Emporium. I am very pleased with the knife and thoughtful and honest approach of Two Feathers.
Some Comments:
1. The knife was even more attractive in person that it was in the photos
2. A nice piece of figured, striped walnut was used for the handle.
knife210.jpg

3. The blade was constructed well of quality carbon steel
4. It was a pleasure dealing with Two Feathers! I wish all vendors were as thoughtful and honest!
5. I'll buy another knife from Two Feathers shortly.
Highly recommended.
Ron

RonC said:
I purchased a patch knife from Two Feathers and his Mountain Man Emporium. I am very pleased with the knife and thoughtful and honest approach of Two Feathers.
Some Comments:
1. The knife was even more attractive in person that it was in the photos
2. A nice piece of figured, striped walnut was used for the handle.
knife210.jpg

3. The blade was constructed well of quality carbon steel
4. It was a pleasure dealing with Two Feathers! I wish all vendors were as thoughtful and honest!
5. I'll buy another knife from Two Feathers shortly.
Highly recommended.
Ron
Ron C.
Thank you very much for your review. You were my second buyer and I'm ecstatic that you're happy. I hope your review of my work and policies bring more folks to my store. God bless my friend. I look forward to selling you ANYTHING I have that you want. Ron is a great person to deal with. Just making any possible future sellers aware of that.
Two Feathers
at The Mountain Man Emporium

FrontierGander said:
Looks excellent! I especially like the sheath he made for it!
Frontier Gander
 Thank you, I try. :D
God bless:
 Two Feathers

patocazador said:
What is that blade shape designed to do best?
patocazador
Hard to say actually? It's just my design. It would be fine for dressing mid sized game(wolves, cyotes, coon,) peeling potatoes, cutting patches, (of course), basically anything you'd use any other knife with a 3" blade for. It lacks the nose curve to be a skinner. I hope this helped. Ron LOVES his. Vince still didn't get his yet. USPS is slow because of the holidays.
Stoney

Big Ron
 Howdy buddy
Well. It'll be fine for that, just Please, Please, watch the throat!!! It'll cut ya' Nine ways to Sunday, trust me on that.  ;)
God bless: 
Two Feathers

patocazador said:
What is that blade shape designed to do best?
patocazador
I'm sorry for not realizing something when I answered your question. Frontier Gander only posted 2 patch knife photos, there were actually 3, however Ron C. and Vincem jumped right on them and they're GOOOOONE. I have 2 on my bench right now (slightly different designs), that I have to finish today? I guess my point is...I'm not certain which knife you were referring to when you asked me about the purpose of that blade design. The one with the Antler tine handle is strictly a patch knife. That's what the original 1798 knife that I copied was, and that's what this one is. :2 cents: I'm not a fan of Blind tang, Rat tail tang, or hidden tang knives. I don't trust them in high stress situations. I know I'll get a bunch of "hate mail" over that statement, but partial tang knives have a higher failure rate from handles breaking off the blades than full tang knives. I only make full tang knives, UNLESS the buyer asks for a partial tang configuration, in which case there is basically no guarantee on the knife's longevity. You can't believe what I've seen people do to my knives. I have one guy who is intentionally trying to destroy one. He wants to see what will happen through normal wear and tear. So far he says he can't, That's good for me. I told him that voids my guarantee, he said he knows. I'll try to get photos. of the new ones posted as soon as I can, with Frontier Gander's help. I really need to learn how to post my own photos. :slaps:
Anyway, aside from all the confusion I've added, I hope this helped. Let me know if you have any additional questions, please. As always, thanks for looking.
God bless:
Two Feathers
At The Mountain Man Emporium

On here Buck, Its a little store where I put the items that Dave has to offer.

Buck Conner said:
Where's Two Feather's Mountain Man Emporium located, website???
Hey Buck
The Two Feathers thing is a looong story, sort of? I lived in a "living History Village" in 1975 and 1976. We taught the public about Mountain Man life and life in the 1700's in general. We did shooting exhibitions and education, hawk and knife throwing, Black Smithing, open fire cooking, Fire starting, Blanket trading, Primitive living, and a lot of other stuff. While I was there I always wore a Beaver hat that I made with two Eagle feathers (not real) stuck in it, so people started calling me Two Feathers, and it just stuck. I still have the hat and the Capote that I made. Once the snow flies, I'm going to get a new pic. of myself for the website with my Frankenflint, Capote, and Hat. You'll just have to wait to see that sight :affraid:
Take care buddy:
Two Feathers

stoney1 said:
Buck Conner said:
Where's Two Feather's Mountain Man Emporium located, website???
Hey Buck
The Two Feathers thing is a looong story, sort of? I lived in a "living History Village" in 1975 and 1976. We taught the public about Mountain Man life and life in the 1700's in general. We did shooting exhibitions and education, hawk and knife throwing, Black Smithing, open fire cooking, Fire starting, Blanket trading, Primitive living, and a lot of other stuff. While I was there I always wore a Beaver hat that I made with two Eagle feathers (not real) stuck in it, so people started calling me Two Feathers, and it just stuck. I still have the hat and the Capote that I made. Once the snow flies, I'm going to get a new pic. of myself for the website with my Frankenflint, Capote, and Hat. You'll just have to wait to see that sight :affraid:
Take care buddy:
Two Feathers
Have done the same during the summer when still in school and again between jobs (that turned out to be a job with the National Parks Service for a few years), then back to vacations and weekends. You really get a feel for living off the land and enjoying a soft bed when available ....   :ttups:    :Red tup:  Take care old friend, waiting for pictures ....

Brother Buck
Thanks. I'm sure you understand too, not like someone who never did it. Yup..sure makes ya' happy for a real bed and a car to get around in, OH don't forget INDOOR PLUMBING!!!!! Out houses are damned cold in the Winter! Stay well.
God bless buddy:
Two Feathers

I just received an Atlantic Cutlery Corp. catalog. On page 5, there is a skinning blade that is similar in shape to the one I bought from Two Feathers. On page 15 is anther skinner that is almost identical in shape. I didn't name them "skinners." That is what they are labeled in the catalog.
Ron

RonC said:
I just received an Atlantic Cutlery Corp. catalog. On page 5, there is a skinning blade that is similar in shape to the one I bought from Two Feathers. On page 15 is anther skinner that is almost identical in shape. I didn't name them "skinners." That is what they are labeled in the catalog.
Ron
RonC
I hope you don't think that I swiped their designs? Everything I make is unique to me. I do "use" some elements from others, but everything I make comes right out of my own deranged little head! I have a new blade I'm making that resembles a Green River Patch Knife, but different enough to NOT be considered a copyright infringement. Be well.
Two Feathers

Just addressing one of the questions that Bob (patocazador) asked about what that shape can be used for. It seems that the consensus in the catalog is that it is for skinning. Add to that its use for cutting patches and now we have at least two uses for that general shape.
Then, there is my shaving, of course. :DIt can't be use for trimming nose hairs unless you have a very large nose.

RonC said:
Just addressing one of the questions that Bob (patocazador) asked about what that shape can be used for. It seems that the consensus in the catalog is that it is for skinning. Add to that its use for cutting patches and now we have at least two uses for that general shape.
Then, there is my shaving, of course. :DIt can't be use for trimming nose hairs unless you have a very large nose.
The original idea of a slight drop in the point of the blade is it places your hand in a better position than with a straight blade, this helps in preventing nicking the hide when your skinning from the meat. It's really easy to see this when working on larger animals like elk or buffalo, no one wants a nicked (small cuts) in an expensive hide. A few nicks will knocked the value of any hide down $$$ dollars, ask a fur buyer and he'll bend your ear for an hour about your screw-up.

The patch cutting idea was something that came years later after this design had been in the field and like Ron says it works.

RonC/Buck
 Thanks for clearing that up. I figured that folks thought I pilfered designs from knife companies?
I did see the little "Patch knife in the AC catalog, and it IS close to mine, but I assure you, my designs are my designs. I sit here with paper, pen, flexible curve and do my Damnedest to come up with something unique to me. I feel bad that anyone might think I stole someone elses designs and then charged that much more for them! Are those Patch Knives in AC's catalog, made in the USA, or some third world country? They definitely look nice.
I thought about adding some "up sweep" in the nose, but I wasn't going for skinner. I meant these to be patch knives not smaller hunting knives. You guys can use them for whatever you'd like, I'm just "stating my case." Ron C, watch those nose hairs. :lol:

You folks have been very good to me.  I guess I should do more research before I produce an item for sale? Have a very Merry Christmas. Take care my friends.
God bless:
Stoney

Latest posts

Back