Patriot Muzzleloader in American Hunter!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cattledog

Reaction score
Congratulation to Mark and Woodman Arms!

American Hunter did a nice article on the .45 Cal Patriot. My only grip with the article was the explanation of the barrel "coating". The Patriot is not coated, the barrel is treated to have a multistep nitride process. Maybe Mark and further describe the nitride treatment used on the Patriot barrel. I believe the current process if closer to a QPQ process than the single Q treatment found on other muzzleloaders.

in the article is this a mistake ?

"The 24-inch, 416 stainless steel barrel is coated with Melonite, including inside the bore for corrosion protection."

i thought their barrels were made of 17-4 .
i'm also of the impression melonite is the same as nitride with isn't a coating but changes the molecular structure of the surface of the metal .
am i showing my ignorance again ? haha

I dont know of any company that uses 17-4 for barrels but Lothar Walther uses a SS that is almost as good called LW50.
I would argue LW50 is no where near as good when it comes to corrosion resistance. It is more like 416.
Back in the day I had bought hundreds of blanks from LW. It was like pulling teeth to order more so I moved on. Then I realized the cost was too high anyway.

Our barrels are treated with nitride, also they call it Melonite QPQ. I also have found that they actually don't do the QPQ part, unless you pay way more. Quench, Polish, Quench is what that means. There is a nitride process where they polish inside the barrel bore. In talking to different "engineers" at NCT, I have been told many true and false things.

We only use 416 stainless, not 17-4 for gun barrels. My dream come true would be 17-4 barrels. I think the only way that is going to happen is the day I put barrel rifling in house. That day is probably not that far away at the rate we are going.

This was from a LW email response posted on another forum.
The material we use is specialy made for us and we order not through a dealer, we order directly from the steel company here in Germany and Austria. We have the name in our house LW 50, the offical material name is X20Cr13 or if you like to look into the Stahlschlüssel, it have the number 1.4021.

Sounds a bit like a 420SS
https://www.tachart.com/material/x20cr13/
The 416, supplied in annealed condition, is about:
Brinell Hardness : 170-175
Rm: 630-650MPa
Modulus of Elasticity: 200Gpa.
Thermal conductivity: 25W/m-k

-While the 420 is:
Brinell Hardness 205
Rm: 725Mpa
Modulus of Elasticity: 200GPa.
Thermal conductivity: 25W/m-k