Peculiar range session...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoHiCntry

Reaction score
Got an antelope hunt coming up next week so I took out my T/C Renegade in .54 cal to make sure everything was still on.  Glad I did!

Last year by the end of the summer I had a load of 80 grains of T7 using an Ox Yoke over powder wad and a 425 Great Plains bullet shooting great out to 100 yards.

I had a couple of these loads already in a speed loader from last year, so figured I'd start with those at 100 yards.  My first two shots were 14" apart!  Elevation was good.  Didn't know what to make of that?  Being in the speed loader all year have something to do with it?

So I move in to 50 yards and start shooting.  I would shoot twice, then swab with wet then dry patch along with pick the nipple to make sure it was clear.

The more I shot the better it got.  Weird?  For my last 4 shots I moved the target back to 75 yards.  The group wasn't as good as last summer but definitely acceptable.  (My shots on an antelope won't extend past 100 yards).  So I decided to shoot the last speed loader I had.  It went right in the group with the rest of them (there goes the speed loader idea!) 

Any ideas on what's going on here?  My only thought is, I cleaned this barrel thoroughly with a bronze brush before putting it up after last season.  Maybe this barrel needs several rounds shot through it to "lead" it up and start shooting good again?

Hang in there HiCntry, talked to Carl Walker and was told your new GRRW.CA Kit Carson rifle should be done a week or so before Thanksgiving. We'll need a report on the new toy and how it shoots. 

Thank you for the order, these GRRW Collector Association gunsmiths are all on Social Security the extra money made from building guns for you guys really helps.

Looking forward to getting it!  I ended up dropping my Renegade from the back seat of my truck onto the concrete driveway butt first.  Put a nice crack in the stock! :(

Latest posts

Back