Pedersoli Harpers Ferry Pistol build

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exMember

Reaction score
BigAl bought a Pedersoli Harpers Ferry .58cal flintlock pistol and is having me do the build. I just unboxed it and woowee! A lot of brass polishing to be done, its pretty rough cast. The pistol already had a flint installed and tested. I also tested it and it sparks excellent. The trigger pull is a little bit heavy, but probably normal for a military pistol like this. Lock is extremely smooth to pull back. I am going to start knocking the brass down to workable shape, then move on from there.

Anyone know how the under ribs were finished on the original harpers ferry pistols? Were they polished like the barrel? Also, the screws are blued. Would the originals be blued or in the white?
100_0310.jpg

I figured B&W pictures will show the best. It seems to be a great way to show the uneven wood, any gaps and of course, the rough cast brass. Pretty cool actually!
100_0311.jpg

100_0321.jpg

100_0312.jpg

100_0313.jpg

100_0315.jpg

100_0314.jpg

100_0316.jpg

100_0317.jpg

100_0318.jpg

100_0320.jpg

Glad to hear the sparker is working good. I think I read somewhere that one guy didn't think his frizzen was harden right. Cant wait to see some photos.  :bounce:

I have a picture of two crossed ones taken at the visitor's center at Harpers Ferry. Both have a gray patina instead of the original bright polish but the under ribs and barrels match.

Pictures look cool Jon. Looks like there will be some sanding and polishing involved like you said. Should keep you out of trouble for a while. Al

The pictures do look cool.  Great looking pistol!!  BigAl52 you always get all the good stuff!  :D

I think it was that 58 caliber that drew me in Joe. I like throwin out those big balls. :!: :Red tup:

BigAl52 said:
I think it was that 58 caliber that drew me in Joe. I like throwin out those big balls. :!: :Red tup:
You trying to make up for a lack of size somewhere else?

Bear Claw said:
BigAl52 said:
You trying to make up for a lack of size somewhere else?
Only my hair dresser knows Pete.

Back