Pedersoli Pennsylvania Long Rifle Flintlock Question

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattRaymond

Reaction score
Hello all,

I've just acquired a Pedersoli Pennsylvania Long Rifle, in flintlock.  It's a .45 caliber with a browned barrel and is in great condition.  It appears to have an aftermarket, high quality, lock on it.  Most of the pictures I've seen of these rifles have color case hardened locks.  This one is bright polished steel.  I think it might be an L&R but it is not marked.  The stock has had some extra inletting done on it so that the tumblers etc, have room to work. The gun was probably purchased in the late 80's or 90's.  The guy I bought it from didn't know much about it, and he purchased it many years ago and never worked on it himself.  It makes great spark, but I have yet to fire it. The overall condition of the gun is great, I'm just wondering what brand of lock it is.  Here's a few pics...

Update..I looked at the proof mark on the barrel [BA] which, according to the internet, makes it 1991 vintage. I'm going to leave it as-is.  I think it looks nice against the dark walnut.

IMG_1838.jpg

IMG_1841.jpg

Yes sir looks like an L&R lock to me. I bought one for a Lyman Great Plains rifle and it looked exactly like that. If you buy just the lock new its 148.00 by itself. I had mine CCH by a guy in Denver to match the gun but they are good locks. Al

I'm starting to lean towards this lock just being a polished Pedersoli. I've been all over the internet looking a pictures and the structure of the lock and shape of the cock looks like Pedersoli. The gun is over 25 years old so who knows what was available on them back then. 

I have yet to fire it, but I've been cleaning and polishing the bore with Jon's "Shoot Out" on a tight patch and jag. So far so good. A bunch of crud has come out and the bore is starting to look shiny.

Latest posts

Back