Pelet/charge question

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Franksauto

Reaction score
I have an approximately 20 year Knight MK85. The recomended max powder charge for this rifle is 120gr. I only shoot pelets out of it and want to play with some loads. This may be a stupid question but I was wondering if it is safe to load it with 130gr pelets. Reason being, pelets only come in 50 & 30gr. The gun is in like new condition made stainless steel. Ignition has been converted to a 209 breech plug.
I may start trying out loose powder again and if so I will stay within the recomended charges. I just like the conveinance of pelets for hunting.
Frank

That 120 grain max recommended applys to loose powder. Pellets are equivalent to less loose.(100 grain of pellets = 80 grains of loose). So you should be OK with 130 grains of pellets. Now if you want to shoot 120 grains of pellets, put 4 30 grainers in there :wink:

While I would guess the rifle could take the extra 10 grains of powder... some of the old inlines that Knight put out did have a 120 grain max charge, no matter what you shot as I remember. Maybe because pellets were not around then. Did you put in a 209 conversion?

Like I said, I think the rifle would take it, but... do not exceed the manufacturer's recommendations. If you have any doubts about the strength of the rifle, give Knight a call with this question. Also what length barrel are you shooting?

Franksauto

That 120 grain max recommended applys to loose powder. Pellets are equivalent to less loose.(100 grain of pellets = 80 grains of loose). So you should be OK with 130 grains of pellets. Now if you want to shoot 120 grains of pellets, put 4 30 grainers in there

I do not believe this is quite the right information.... All pellet loads are equivelent loads... that is to say a 30 grain pellet is equivlelent to 30 grain of loose BP, whether it is a Pyro pellet or an T7 pellet... Loose T7 measuring 30 grains is equivelent to 15% more than 30 grains of BP, according to Hornady - but I personally belive it is more like 10%.

I would think if the gun is marked or the manual says 120 - then if you exceed that you are out there on the limb with yourself. My original Remington ML 24" variety has a max of 120 also - but when I questioned a Remington Tech about it - his remark was that was all that a 24" barrel could effectivly burn.

From Hodgin:

50 Caliber - 50 Grain Pellets The original Pyrodex Pellet designed for use in 50 caliber, in-line rifles. A single 50/50 pellet may be used for a light target or small game load while two 50/50 pellets may be combined to provide a potent 100 gr. equivalent load for big game.

Do not know if this helps... but thought I would post it..

i was at cabelas today looking at some choices and there were 60 grain pellets. that was the first time i knew they came in that, but there ya go... 2 60's for 120

Before everyone rushes out to buy 60 gr pellets for your 50 cal inline unless they have just come out with a 60 gr pellet for 50 cal these are most likely for 54 cal rifles. At least that is what is listed in my Hodgdon Muzzleloading basics manual.

From what i understand these new Triple7 Magnum pellets are 60 grain size.Like i said i do not know that to be a fact but that is what i understand them to be.
PA RIDGE RUNNER said:
Before everyone rushes out to buy 60 gr pellets for your 50 cal inline unless they have just come out with a 60 gr pellet for 50 cal these are most likely for 54 cal rifles. At least that is what is listed in my Hodgdon Muzzleloading basics manual.

Latest posts

Back