Pellet powder with #11 cap

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Usually....Sometimes....:) but you can end up with lot of hang fires, depends on gun,nipple and type of breech plug.. plus how hot #11 cap your using with the hottest being best RWS, cci magnum etc.
I used pellets when they 1st came out in a Ruger 77/50 and T/C Black Diamond and Firehawk.

Musket cap would be better..

Last edited:
If given a choice, I'd use loose powder over the pellets.
Pellets might be convenient and faster loading but they are also way more expensive to use.

Loose powder would be better with #11's. If I was going to use pellets with a #11, I would go with pyrodex.

Never had a problem using a musket cap. Changing out the nipple is easy.

I use Pyrodex pellets with #11 caps and only a issue once in a great while during scope sight in. For hunting I don't think it would be an issue as the nipple and flash hole through the plug will/should be good and clean. Just my thoughts, other know a lot more than I do.

Powerbelts and caps work just fine. Your question should be what kind of powder to use when using powerbetls and caps.
you should use any kind of loose black powder.
Eventhough Pellets are black powder too, Pellets are not loose, and the caps flash must ignite the black powder on
the end of the Pellets. This alone could "Possibly" produce a misfire, or more likely to produce a misfire compared to
loose powder as the main charge.

Triple7 pellets are not black powder at all. The ignition temp needed is much higher than even a Pyrodex pellet.

I use the Magnum #11 caps with Pyrodex. Powder is stored in a sealing ammo can in a dry basement.

Will pellet powder work in a in-line that uses the #11 cap.
Hello from Canada, I have used #11 caps any brand for over 30 years in a Hawken rifle >54 cal.
Used 3f black powder , now use 3f 777. never had any problems with ignition.
Sight in, clean and load before hunt ,hunt untill ready to shoot your deer, Bang every time.
Got a nice doe this dec. 4th

I use #11 caps in my old White White Lightning, I've shot and taken deer with powder and pellets over the years. A big consideration is your breech plug, is it flat on the muzzle side (better for pellets) or cupped (powder)? My White is cupped and the loose powder fills in the gap where pellets don't. (better ignition) Although I've shot pellets (only time I noticed a slight delay at the range) I've noticed a better ignition every time with weighed powder, and I weigh 90 grains of Pyrodex powder compared to two 50 gr pellets with the same 300 or 250gr XTP. My 50 cal Accura V2 has both breech plugs, I haven't tried pellets in it because 77 grains of Blackhorn 209 and a 300 XTP is dead on accurate so no need to try. Just my two cents. Good luck

Back