Percentage of yield for game animals?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blue-Dot-37.5

Reaction score
I weighed some of the meat that returned with me from Crossville. What % of meat are we supposed to get from the different animals?

For instance a bison that is 2000# on the hoof yields how much meat?
Same for a ram, elk and a boar.

Anybody know? This is assuming minimal loss of meat due to good bullet placement. (notice the singular bullet? :lol: )

For instance, I weighed the Corsican's meat. 27.85# including meat that I had them throw in a bag for summer sausage. Bone in on most of the cuts.

Blue-Dot-37.5

For deer and elk you can figure on 1/3 from a field dressed deer or elk This would be boned out meat. A 120# field dressed deer will give 40# of boned meat.
A beef (I used to raise Herefords) will give about 50% of live weight.
Ken

Redclub said:
For deer and elk you can figure on 1/3 from a field dressed deer or elk This would be boned out meat. A 120# field dressed deer will give 40# of boned meat.
A beef (I used to raise Herefords) will give about 50% of live weight.
Ken

I'm thinking this sounds about right, Ken..

This of course applies to everyone except Loggy. Loggys numbers are generally closer to 80-90 percent! :lol:

yes loggy saves all the scraps but we got him to try real food he acted like he liked it clint

Latest posts

Back