Percussion Cap "CAP KEEPERS"

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Has anyone used these before? They are pieces of plastic that fit over the caps on the nipple to keep the caps from falling off. I just stumbled across these online and was wondering if they work? Since I can only find #11 CCI's, they are a little loose on revolvers and I was hoping these would work. Has anyone tried them?

Attachments

• C1.jpg
    C1.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 0
  • C2.jpg
    C2.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 0
  • C3.jpg
    C3.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 0
I used to use something similar when it was raining out. They were red. Dont remember more than that. I long ago used Crisco to seal around the caps on wet days. That worked fine.
Somebody suggested carrying a tube of chap stick on wet or humid days to dab on the base of the nipples to seal the caps. Sounds logical, but never tried it.

Traditions puts light red tubing of the right size for No. 11 caps in their "Raingear" kits. I like them when hunting with caps that fit a little loosely - like CCI #11s on my Renegade. IMHO not necessary when I use RWS 1075 + caps, which fit my Renegade very tightly - to the extent that they are difficult to remove.

I've read about setting up a small pistol or rifle primer in the aquarium tubing like that as a cap replacement.

You need to watch your length, but there is clearance on an early 70s Uberti to let the cylinder cycle around, etc. Unfortunately, no pop/boom :(

I would also be a bit concerned about having them short enough to let you fully seat the cap on the nipple. But otherwise a sound idea.

Latest posts

Back