Petting a deer

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They should have given him water and some grain, then leave him be, watch him from a distance until he was back to normal or if needed put him down.

We have had yearlings come in looking for food and hanging around the barn with the horses and cows. When hunting season came along we would put orange tape on their horns or around their necks. Everyone knew the were pets and left them be. We had a nice 5 point (western count) that liked apples, my daughter for some unknown reason gave him "red hots" candy. That ended him eating out of her hands or coming close to her, that really pissed me off .......  :x

Perhaps the deer had wasting disease, the type that destroys the brain. He didn't even turn his head as the men approached.
Ron

RonC said:
Perhaps the deer had wasting disease, the type that destroys the brain. He didn't even turn his head as the men approached.
Ron
This is a bad disease that has spread throughout several states now. CSU in Fort Collins had the only half dozen animals with this known of. One of the students forgot to close/lock the gate where these animals were being tested. The deer got out and within a few years the DOW was seeing more animals infected, within 10 years the disease was showing up in several of the neighboring states. 

Now the "wasting disease" has made deer hunting a 50/50 chance you'll get a bad animal, that's why in some areas when the DOW is around they want to test the dead animal. The DOW claims the meat won't hurt humans, how many times have we heard this......

My unit isn't one of the ones that have to be tested. I've never had one tested and so far I haven't gotten sick. Fingers crossed.

I've never been that fond of mule deer meat. It wouldn't bother me much to give it up.

CWD is transmitted by a prion, same as mad cow disease. I de-bone my deer so that I don't get any central nervous system components in the meat. Sawing the animal into 'chops' leaves part of the spinal cord in each piece. I also wear gloves when dressing the deer.  

Here is Florida's take on CWD:

<h3 class="post-content">What is CWD?</h3>
Fatal CWD is a transmissible disease that attacks the brains of infected cervids, such as mule deer, white-tailed deer, moose and elk, eventually causing them to become emaciated and display unusual behavior. It is caused by an abnormal protein called a prion. Scientists still have much to learn about CWD.
“Warning signs that hunters can look out for while in the field include deer that are extremely thin or appear sick, or those exhibiting odd behavior such as staggering, walking in circles, standing with a wide stance, head tremors, or deer found dead from unknown causes,” Morea said. “If you see a deer in Florida that fits this description, call 866-CWD-WATCH (293-9282).”
Transmission of CWD occurs by direct contact with an infected deer or by consuming abnormal prions that have been deposited into the environment. In this second scenario, the prion stays in the soil and can remain infectious for years.

Florida has not had any reported cases of CWD. There is a law that no cervid may be brought into Florida that has central nervous system (CNS) tissue with it. No heads may be imported just the skull plate with antlers.

Bob.....That doesn't say if humans can get it but is sort of hinting at it.

Thank you for posting that info, Bob.
The prions are unusual and strange disease agents. Unlike viruses and bacteria, they do not replicate themselves and pass on disease through genetic material. They are proteins that can be found in cell membranes. Once they form a particular shape, they can cause other similar proteins to change shapes. When they get into the brain, they force other proteins to change shape and destroy neurons. As the brain is destroyed, the animal (or human) show aberrant, strange behavior, like this deer.
When the prion gets into the environment, they can last for years and be picked up by another grazer on that site.
There is a lot of evidence for the existence and behavior of these prions, but some aspects are still controversial.
Ron

They said mad cow disease couldn't be transmitted to humans because the meat is cooked. That went out the window. It seems that prions are not destroyed by heat.

As explained on a PBS show years ago, mad cow disease got its start when British feed companies added ground-up sheep carcasses to the feed to increase the protein content. Some of the sheep had prions which passed through the feed to the cows and eventually to humans.

Until the scientists get a better handle on this, I'm not eating anything that could have CNS tissue in it.

patocazador said:
They said mad cow disease couldn't be transmitted to humans because the meat is cooked. That went out the window. It seems that prions are not destroyed by heat.
That's the same old story with everything reported, then found to be wrong.... Thanks to the half ass reporting research done by the news media, they get about 35-40% of their information correct, just like our elected officials. 

You have to do the research yourself if really interested in the subject manner.......

Had a few that didn't care

000_1612.jpg

2009ho10.jpg

oneshot

I just got an email from Alabama's game dept. about CWD. They are reacting to a case of CWD found in Mississippi. This is an excerpt from that update. It sounds very serious.

“Probably the biggest one is the lack of differentiation between EHD (epizootic hemorrhagic disease) and CWD,” he said. “EHD, we’ve always had. It hit north Alabama pretty hard this year. We have outbreaks every year. Most of them are not severe.  Epizootic hemorrhagic disease and related bluetongue viruses are transmitted by midges. They bite one deer and then transmit it to the next deer. It’s endemic to Alabama and most of the Southeast. It hits the northern states harder than us. You typically see these outbreaks in late summer and early fall. It is not always fatal. That’s a big difference. This is something that’s not going to wipe out our deer herd.
“Now chronic wasting disease, on the other hand, is caused by a prion, a misfolded protein, not a virus. It’s similar to CJD (Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease) in humans, scrapie in sheep and BSE, or mad cow disease, in cattle. It is infectious, communicable and always fatal.”
Sykes said CWD is not endemic to the South, but once it shows up, it doesn’t go away. He said no successful methods have been developed to sanitize the soil, the environment or facilities.
“This is serious,” he said. “This is not made up. This is a real issue. It was first found in captive mule deer in Colorado. The CDC (Centers for Disease Control) changed their recommendation last year. They recommend that hunters strongly consider having those animals tested if it was killed in one of the CWD zones before they eat it. Mississippi’s Department of Health just put out an advisory to hunters for this. Now there are processors with meat stacked to the roof because people won’t come get their deer meat.
“As of today, CWD has not been shown to jump to humans, but the science is really new and it is being studied.”

The entire newsletter can be read from the link below:

CRIPES! 

I'm not sure if I want to eat anything now. Deer and elk have this crap and bears have trichinosis.

I told everyone met that "CWD is bad stuff and will hurt our health", on-one wanted to hear that, now after all these years it's an issue.  Hell I lived 15 miles from where the deer infected were held, all the locals knew about it.

Funny today I was listening to a person. Years ago they said they owned their Farm for 13 years, went Deer hunting every year and never killed a Deer.

I asked permission to hunt it. Well you can but won't do any Good because there is no Deer there. I killed over a Dozen Deer on the place. They ran me off saying that I wasn't leaving any Deer. All the time I'm thinking how can I over kill something not there?

Well today they was saying they were feeding Deer. They said they might as well because no one ever hunts them. I told them because it is a CWD Area it is Illegal to feed them. They think I'm just saying it.

oneshot

I've been able to pet deer a few times before.  However, I usually don't pet them until I have them down and safe.  :lol!:

Latest posts

Back