Picked up me a Ruger ML50

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Panhandle

Reaction score
I saw my first Ruger 50 last week and really liked the way it looked and the way it handled so I did some gun trading with the owner and we both left sastisfied. It has been converted to shoot 209 primers so the first thing I did when I got home was to load it with Blackhorn to see how it fired. I only shot it once and it fired without a hitch :D. If this rifle shoots half as well as it looks and handles it's going to be a keeper for sure. As soon as the wind dies down I'll find out.
Zen
Ruger002.jpg

Ruger001-1.jpg

Perhaps the best looking inline ever made. A local shop has one, but the barrel is pitted, and they want $100.00 too much for it.

nice looking gun. walnut stock?

theres a story in colorado springs that had one of those except it had a grey laminated stock. Sharp looking rifles thats for sure.

question, does the front barrel band serve a function, or just for looks?

frontier gander said:
nice looking gun. walnut stock?

theres a story in colorado springs that had one of those except it had a grey laminated stock. Sharp looking rifles thats for sure.

I'm not sure what kind of wood the stock is.....Walnut finish

Al in Mi said:
question, does the front barrel band serve a function, or just for looks?

The front band holds the sling swivel ; mostly just a design feature

Zen

the barrel band is to help hold the barrel and stock together on the fore end.only 2 screws hold the triggergaurd to the action holding the stock in place.
i have the ruger 77/50 all-weather stainless in blue/grey laminate stock.i'm considering pillar bedding the action and shorten foreend stock and eliminating the barrelband and the ramrod slots on the barrel and make a carry holster for the ramrod.lyman makes a filler dovetail that's contured to fit the barrel.
i've already upgraded to a wolff firing pin spring and timney adjustable trigger.
shoots best for me with about 90gr ffg T7.any more than that and fouling becomes an issue,but nevertheless,it shoots 90grs like most others shoot 110grs so don't feel like you're underachieving,you're actually overachieving.
have you noticed the quality of rifling in the barrel? very impressive eh?

Ruger

Zen
Does the ruger actually have two screws that holds the action in place like the center fire's? If so that would be a tremendous improvment over some guns. What is the twist? How did the work look that KD did for you ?
Wayles

1/28 twist..........and yes,there are two bolt screws holding the trigger gaurd and stock and action together.

That one looks like the one I have. It is an "American hardwood" (Beech) stock. I have one of the earlier ones and the bolt protrusion that is used to make sure the breech plug is fully seated is in a different location. Mine sits at about 9 o'clock where yours sits at 12 o'clock. Yours will shield the scope better from primer debree. I wrap my scope, but have been considering calling Ruger to get the newer bolt design.

If yours has the Cabela's type of 209 conversion breech plug, just be careful as it is one of the unapproved designs that Blackhorn shows on their bottles.

Thanks for the picture. I have been interested in seeing what the Ruger integrated mount to Weaver style base looked like on them.

Re: Ruger

wayles said:
Zen
Does the ruger actually have two screws that holds the action in place like the center fire's? If so that would be a tremendous improvment over some guns. What is the twist? How did the work look that KD did for you ?
Wayles

Wayne
Yes...It has two screws that hold the action to the stock. I tore it down last night to give it a thorough cleaning and was impressed on how it was put together. It is every bit as well built as my Savage. It also shoots BH; that's a plus.... KD did a great job on my Savage and at a very reasonable price. His work is as good as any that I've seen. I posted some pictures of it on "Doug's Smokeless Savage Board" under "My Shorter and Lighter Savage .50 ML", take a look and see.
http://dougsmessageboards.proboards.com ... thread=107
Zen

pioneerhunter: I was very impressed with the rifling

Back