Loved it.. Now Despise it

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry to hear of your troubles. I know cva says you should initially tighten the breach plug as tight as you can with a wrench and after only hand tighten. When I went out the first time for our early muzzy season I dropped my Redemption and it landed right on the scope. I had the Omega settup also and of course I forgot to put it in the truck. Hour and a half driving for nothing.

See these things just happen. Sorry you've experienced it also. But I think that's another good reason to fix this optima and keep it for a spare.

So Illinois muzzy only season was/is Friday Saturday and Sunday. Wife hosed me last minute so I missed opening day. Which was OK Temps were hot with a big cold front coming in late tonight. So I expected awesome hunting Sunday morning.

I test fire all my rifles regardless if I just used it last weekend. Glad I did as it was way off. Cva optima lr with konus pro. Packed light thinking I wouldn't need anything cause I "had" it dialed in. 6rds of my barnes pack to get a miserable test group. Decide to hunt the woods Saturday morning with only close in shots till I can get back after it. No deer it was pretty warm already. But back at trying to figure this thing out. More shots with bad results. Removed the scope and base. Found scope was loose. Cleaned the gun. Also having huge blowback issues yet again. It looks like the breech plug is pitted at the base where the primer sits. Same place the blowback is worst. And the orings pop apart at. Fast forward now.... Scope won't hold zero. Was also loose. New Breech plug is shot already. Pack and a half of barnes. Out of blackhorn now. Filthy gun.. No deer on last Antlered deer hunt of the season. Back home and not at deer camp. Hope everyone else had a better weekend! Anyone looking for a pos muzzy I'm in the market for a new one.

Pic of the bad breechplug.
https://hanksprecisiongunparts.com/p/cva-replacement-plug-for-the-accura-optima-wolf

What size O
Are you using the O-Ring in the primer pocket and still getting that blowback. These are a fired & unfired primer from my

Are you using the O-Ring in the primer pocket and still getting that blowback. These are a fired & unfired primer from my Accura V2 using the O-Ring.

Are you using the O-Ring in the primer pocket and still getting that blowback. These are a fired & unfired primer from my Accura V2 using the O-Ring.

1nzsdUrh.jpg
What size of Oring do you put in the primer pocket???

My two cents. First not a fan of the CVA's too many issues not enough customer service. Everyone that I have seen that came with a scope mount was loose, centerfire or MZ. Lehigh makes a hella nice BP. The reason you might be blowing o-rings is that one might not be enough. Try the washers/shims to check your headspace when you get your new BP. Check the headspace and maybe add some of the shims to set the HS.

Got a keeper. Was explaining to the wife the problems I was having at deer camp. Which is when I told her about the scope. I just let her know I ordered a scope. She told me.. with a stern look... you better cancel that order right now! You've spent enough on your deer stuff already! Plus.. I ordered it for you yesterday when you said you needed one. 🥰
Nice story. Take that woman out for a fancy meal.

Sorry the actual pic looks much better. But anyways. It's a CVA plug. But ya it's got 3 different cavities. Don't ask me why I took so long for me to see it. Spend most of time attention on the barrel

How many rounds do you have down it to burn the breech plug out.
That plug is not wore out you need to adjust head space for the blowby if you don't it will foul up the firing pin and trigger assembly and not get good groups you are loosing pressure thru the plug. My firing pin bushing is protruding out about .110 in. From the face to stop blowback. You need about .004-.005 crush on your primers to seal different brands of primers require adjustments. Every brand is different in length. If the plug has grooves cut in it junk it. You need to clean the firing pin bushing out. You will have carbon in the hammer to and trigger. You need to stop the blowback or you will never get it working good and you will be frustrated. I have fixed about 3 cva's with this problem and those people are very happy now.

Big bore... I wish you were closer and it was warmer I'd show you. I had the God awful blow back issue fixed with this plug. Then it started coming back. I reset headspace. Switched primers and reset headspace. It always leaks in the same spot. I get that I know nothing compared to many on here, I'm ok with that ignorance. But I've been through everything everyone has suggested. I'll send you the plug and you can have at it. I've ordered another already. If I knew anything of machining I'd fix or modify it.
👍

17023377995545136997451237010436.jpg17023378489047943210944964515160.jpg

See if those show it any better. Kinda beating a dead horse cause I'll never use that plug again. Thanks everyone for your help with this newest problem and the many before it. I trust many and respect all of ya 😃

Ugh. It definitely has flame cutting of the primer seat. Once you start getting flame cutting you need to replace the breechplug. Buy the Lehigh version.

That plug is not wore out you need to adjust head space for the blowby if you don't it will foul up the firing pin and trigger assembly and not get good groups you are loosing pressure thru the plug. My firing pin bushing is protruding out about .110 in. From the face to stop blowback. You need about .004-.005 crush on your primers to seal different brands of primers require adjustments. Every brand is different in length. If the plug has grooves cut in it junk it. You need to clean the firing pin bushing out. You will have carbon in the hammer to and trigger. You need to stop the blowback or you will never get it working good and you will be frustrated. I have fixed about 3 cva's with this problem and those people are very happy now.
After seeing the cleaned plug it is gas cutted get another plug and try that new one out. If you get and blowback you need to fix it right away and the o ring is not it adjust the firing pin bushing. And use the same primers all the time . If you switch primers you need to adjust for the different ones good luck. Show us pictures of the primers that would help. What is your charge of powder. You might be having pressure problems. Save your primers and let us know what the weight of the bullet is to, a really heavy bullet can cause blowback also. Are your primers splitting or bulged out ?
I have been where you are I fixed the blowback by adjusting the bushing out about .110in and stopped the blowback. Get a vent liner plug that is adjustable and try that. Just dont give up it takes time to figure it out. I would suggest cutting back on your charge and slowly bring up till it groups and stop there . Chettets primers are thin metal made for light loads in shot shells for Europe. I dont want your plug I went thru one my self and tossed it and will never buy the blackthorn cva plug again. I use my stock plug and whitehot pellets. I have the pyrodex in fff. it shoots just fine with the standard plug for me. But the blowback you are getting is worse than what I had. Dont give up you will get it working. Other gun manufacturers have had this problem with blowback also and most have fixed it with headspace adjustments. Good luck.

Latest posts

Back