Picture of Rice Breech Plug

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matthew323

Reaction score
Would anyone that owns a Rice, 1", drop-in barrel for their Thompson/Center Renegade sidelock please be kind enough to post a couple of images of the breech plug?

I am especially interested in what the snail drum looks like. I can't recall ever seeing a good close up image of the breech plug on one of these barrels.

Thanks,
Bruce

Would anyone that owns a Rice, 1", drop-in barrel for their Thompson/Center Renegade sidelock please be kind enough to post a couple of images of the breech plug?

I am especially interested in what the snail drum looks like. I can't recall ever seeing a good close up image of the breech plug on one of these barrels.

Thanks,
Bruce
D6608CED-BB2A-4189-BD68-444D73B9756F.jpegD79D5CC0-E963-4633-8CB6-007702C251E4.jpeg40FE9C0B-C9BC-43B8-990D-F90051FD6FD3.jpegEE7E6469-285D-41AA-8879-8E51F61CB953.jpeg

Thanks for those images Bad Karma. I really appreciate it. I was trying to visualize what the snail drum looked like, and I just couldn't come up with a clear picture in my mind.

The Rice snail drum on these drop-in barrels doesn't look much like any traditional snail drum that I have ever seen.

What I would like Jason to do is fabricate for me a 41" long, swamped, octagon-round, 4140CM steel, .45 caliber, 1:14" fast twist barrel that has a "B"-weight breech that immediately starts tapering to an "A"-weight waist, & then flares out to an "A"-weight muzzle.

He would then breech the barrel with one of these percussion, CNC machined, 4140CM steel, Manton-style, hooked breech plugs. Only I would like for the snail drum to have a more traditional look. In addition, from my discussions with him, Jason has stated that, for an additional cost, he can provide a matching, fitted, CNC machined, 4140CM steel, 6" long beavertail tang such as was found on some English Sporting Rifles, Hawken rifles, and eastern mountain rifles

Then I would have a barrel, percussion hooked breech plug, and long tang set that could eventually be made up into a Woodsrunner-style, iron-mounted, early Virginia longrifle that had been converted to percussion late in its working life.

I have a builder in mind that is interested in such a project. Now it's just a matter of getting the money together to first purchase the barrel, breech plug, & tang. That will be at least a 6 month wait once the deposit is sent, & the order is placed.

I also did not realize that Jason was not filling in the hole created when drilling the flash channel with a plug, and grinding it smooth. I was surprised to see a socket head set screw on the left side of the barrel.

My 1st .45 Cal Rice Barrel (1:20 Twist) Does not have any distinguishable plug, My last 2 Rice Barrels look identical to the pics Bad Karma provided

Last edited:
Back