Pigs with Flintlock

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
45-70

What distance is the pig?

I am very interested in a lightweight, .58 caliber, patched ball, 7.5lb all up with a scope, flintlock hunting rifle that is based upon the English Sporting Rifle stock design. Probably a 24" long, 1:48" twist, octagon-round barrel with 0.010" deep, square-bottom grooves.

I just never knew anyone that had put a modern telescopic sight on a flintlock rifle.

Do yo know what effect the fouling from the ignition in the pan of the lock has upon the scope?

I have an appointment this afternoon at the ophthalmologist to get my eyes checked. It is outside of the VA health care system due to Covid-19. I am pretty sure my left eye needs cararact surgery. Not sure about the right eye.

We will see how it goes.

At this point in time I NEED a scope to ethically hunt with. I truly do not want to hunt with an inline, if the possibility of hunting with a scoped flintlock is a viable alternative.

Since I started out with flintlock longrifles in 1971, that is where my heart lies, and a patched ball is what I prefer to shoot.

A .58 caliber, 286.5 grain, pure lead, patched ball over 80-90 grains of ffg Swiss black powder is capable of handling any game animal in North America. At a distance of up to 150 yards.

Thanks for any answers to my questions.

Is the scope base offset to the left to afford clearance for cock?

this man built this rifle, it shoots a grease groove built, and distance to the pigs is 300 meters, He competes against Inlines

Latest posts

Back