Pitted Rem 700 ML

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fisher1

Reaction score
What would a take off Rem 50 cal. blue barrel cost. My ex son in law has a older Rem. 50 cal with badly pitted barrel. He is considering replacing the barrel along with a new breech plug and bolt nose kit. He will be shooting BH 209 and T7. I would like recommendations for the BP,bolt nose kit and smith to do the work. Est. cost would be helpful as well. He is debating on whether or not to trash it and get a new gun or upgrade it.

a stock replacement should be cheap and easy. there's a ton of them that have been converted to smokeless .45. Someone should have a takeoff stock barrel...or piles of them. :D Ill bet someone chimes in here soon.

The hard part may be taking the old barrel off if the rifle was neglected too much. I have removed 3 Rem 700ML barrels with no trouble but they were in good shape.

Is he using a scope on the rifle? A used barrel may not index the same way as the old barrel which would cause the sight screw holes to be off. This can be fixed but you need the right equipment.

I know of 2 kits that would work, one sold by ArrowHead Sporting Goods, which I have not used; and one sold by derfhunter on this board, which I have used 3.

Bolt conversion kit ~$90, Breech plug~ $55, rebarrel and install bolt kit~ $100

I personally would not put a factory barrel back on, the custom barrels shoot much better in my opinion. The down side is the price, around $800 installed but you could shoot BlackHorn 209 or smokeless powder. Now that I’ve mentioned smokeless, the barrel and breech plug on the customs are designed for it, a factory Rem 700ML barrel replacement barrel and bolt conversion kit NO SMOKELESS.

Yes he dose have a scope on it and is not interested in smokless.

Barrels are very cheap $25-$50

Now trouble spot is timing barrel to get sight holes on top.
Then reheadspace breech plug depth.
$125

Arrowhead sporting goods has great products for 209 conversion .
Appx $160

I would recommend building a custom 45 with 700ml or sell it and get cva accura for 50 cal basic sabot gun

Do you want a factory stainless barrel 50 cal just removed two from actions you will have to get it retimed and head spaced bestill can help you there and do a fine job. just pay shipping Merry Christmas

Sounds like a-lot of work and money is needed for that project.
I would go and buy a new muzzleloader. Go get a T/C Impact for $200 new this month. New CVA Wolfs are probably the same money. Or if can afford, a Knight Vision or CVA Accura V2.

I am not a fan of anything wearing the Traditions name anymore.

Latest posts

Back