Poll: Flintlock - To Pick, plug or not to?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exMember

Reaction score
Okay guys, I, late this evening tried the recommended, plug your touch hole with a piece of wire or something that fits into the touch hole, then load your rifle, so an air pocket is left behind, rather than a wall of powder that will create a fuse like affect when firing.

I found my ignition to be slower when plugging the touch hole and loading. I also tested the rifle by loading it up, then pushing the piece of wire through the powder to help make some air space. Then I just completely left it alone!

My theory for my rifles is to leave it alone. Loading it with a plugged touch hole caused the ignition to slow down to where I was able to see the orange fireball in the pan go off before the rifle. I'm used to super fast, ch-boom ignition. Almost to the point that the ignition surprises me by going off so fast.

What do you do? Vote and then please comment on what you do and why!
1457310788355.jpg

I place a copper wire in the touch hole all the way until it hits the opposite wall of the barrel prior to loading. Before doing this I was compacting the powder and ball too much so there was a slow-fire or a no-fire. This worked much better for me than doing nothing and ensured a repeatable procedure each time. 
Picking the hole after loading introduced a variable into the equation as it would insert easily one time and meet with resistance the next.

I believe that there is no "one size fits all" procedure when working with a custom flintlock. You have to do what works best for your individual firearm.

Normally I just pour the powder and seat the ball. 98% of the time I will shove a wire in the touchhole after priming and push a little priming powder into the touchhole. High speed photography might show a delay, but it isn't anything I ever notice.
The other two percent.
I forget to bring a pick and just prime and shoot. Normally the results are the same as the other 98%.

I'm a picker. I've had a couple of rifles that demanded it, so now I do it with all of them.

Before loading the powder I run my torch tip cleaner through the touch hole just to make sure it's clear.  Then load the powder.  On my new muzzy builds I installed  "White Lightnin’ Touchholes".  The vent liners are designed to allow an extra large concave cavity inside.  Can't wait to test them out.

Anyway it can be done or not done....seems to work well with my rifle! :Salute: :Red tup:

I have tried all three ways and found that priming the pan properly is the key...It always goes BOOM! If I have an issue I will pick the vent and add a bit of prime...I use mainly White Lightning Vents and they have a profound effect...Ignition is super fast and reliable...Thanks for reading my thoughts and opinions...

Hilljack

BigAl52 said:
I pick my nose but not my flintlock :cheers:
Oh Al, I wasn't sure what you or our friend from Golden would say. That was close for either nose or butt. :afro:

Man you guys are way to serious you need to lighten up a little. Jon I wash my hands after every picking.:p

BigAl52 said:
Man you guys are way to serious you need to lighten up a little. Jon I wash my hands after every picking.:p
Amen ......  :pete slap:   :slaps:

Getting kind of anal retentive ain't we?

I just LOOK at the touch hole and if I can see a kernel of powder then the fire
can touch it off just fine.
I DO tilt the rifle so the prime powder ( 4 fg ) isn't up against the touch hole.
I want the fire & heat from the prime powder to fire the main charge.
In any event she always goes ka-boom.
Swiss don't cha' know.

Latest posts

Back