Powder Choice

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vasmokepole

Reaction score
What is everyone using? I'm a 777 guy but read really good things about Swiss powder. At this time I'm running 80gr with a 460 No Excuse bullet on top.

Same, I've been shooting 777 because that has been the most readily available to find. Plus I havent had any issues with it, its less corrosive that traditional BP, and has a little extra velocity when shooting the same amount of powder vs BP. Ive been shooting 70gn (by weight) 777 3F, 250 Barnes TEZ. My .50 cal seems to shoot decent with it. I still need to find the best charge amount for it but for now its shown acceptable hunting accuracy.

T 7 2fg in the .504, T 7 3fg in the .451,
BH209 in the optima V2 rifle and pistol.
I have used triple seven since it was available, great powder in the larger bore Whites!

I use the Swiss 3f in my sidehammer pistols. I also use Triple 7 in my CVA Optima V2 pistol. I think they're pretty comparable in performance. Both are very clean burning.

I had been using 80grV of T7 2f in a renegade .45 and white .451, both with 346grn lead conicals. I have a pound and a half of swiss 2f and 2 pounds of goex i hope to try out in them one day.

I started with Pyrodex RS. Swirched to P after reading Docs recommendation. Too corrosive for me.
Tried T7 and never looked back. 3F in both 451 and 504. I'll admit I want to try some 2F, but i have almost 3 lbs of 3F on hand, so.......

I've used T7, ff and fff and found very little difference in my Whitelightings. So I would stick with the 3F, I also started with Pyrodex RS and found it very corrosive.

Swiss is a great powder and a very close performance match for Triple7. You will lose very little speed using the same amount of Swiss.

I'm stocked up on triple seven still using bottles opened in 2012, 14. :thumb: Keep it dry and will last a long time!
I need to get out and shoot more, but the wife has a medical condition that keeps me home mostly...

Latest posts

Back