Powder... Light sensitive ? ?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geraldbergeron

Reaction score
Another newbie question...

Are Hodgdon, VV, IMR powder "light sensitive" ?

I am stocking range powder shots in "CLEAR" plastic bottle ?

Is that right ??

Thank you again.................................................Gerald.........../

Per Hodgdons AND Accurate Arms sites:

Recommendations for Storage of Smokeless Powder

STORE IN A COOL, DRY PLACE. Be sure the storage area selected is free from any possible sources of excess heat and is isolated from open flame, furnaces, hot water heaters, etc. Do not store smokeless powder where it will be exposed to the sun's rays. Avoid storage in areas where mechanical or electrical equipment is in operation. Restrict from the storage areas heat or sparks which may result from improper, defective or overloaded electrical circuits.

big6x6 said:
Per Hodgdons AND Accurate Arms sites:

Recommendations for Storage of Smokeless Powder

STORE IN A COOL, DRY PLACE. Be sure the storage area selected is free from any possible sources of excess heat and is isolated from open flame, furnaces, hot water heaters, etc. Do not store smokeless powder where it will be exposed to the sun's rays. Avoid storage in areas where mechanical or electrical equipment is in operation. Restrict from the storage areas heat or sparks which may result from improper, defective or overloaded electrical circuits.

Well Mr Chuck,

If I put powder in clear plastic bottles; put them in my "fishing" box; let them under my desk for range practice...

So, no "excess heat", no "isolated from open flame",...

So, I think Hodgdon's AND Accurate Arms's liability are zero; I think that MAYBE "I will isolated the powder from open flames" (good idea, Hodgdon and Accurate Arms dixit...)

Bottom line: Can I let my powder in clear plastic bottles, in my fishing box, for a few monts without any problem... ?

IMO yes... In your opinion... ?? Hodgdon does not take any chance...

I should try to put it under "open flames"....

Question is still: does light destroy powder ???

...............................................................Gerald....................../

It degrades it! Thats why it comes on tins,or black plastic bottles. I weigh my charges before going shooting,but do not leave them in the clear plastic vials for storage. Ron :D

Ron S said:
It degrades it! Thats why it comes on tins,or black plastic bottles. I weigh my charges before going shooting,but do not leave them in the clear plastic vials for storage. Ron :D

Hi Ron,

What kind of temporary storage do you use, while waiting to go to the range ?

I may let the powder in those temporary storage bottles for many weeks...

Any suggestions ?

.....................Thank you..............................Gerald............/

It degrades it! Thats why it comes on tins,or black plastic bottles.

Exactly... As does excessive heat. Short term storage...it doesn't matter. Long term storage..say anything longer than a week...cool, dry, dark, place. Another thing to think about...No container OTHER than the container the powder came in is guaranteed to NOT chemically react with the powder.

No container OTHER than the container the powder came in is guaranteed to NOT chemically react with the powder.
Your right on the money Chuck, I use the clear vials RW sells,but I load them right before I go to the range,as part of my things to do before going shooting. The same for hunting. Keeping the powder in it's orginal container,can help avoid mix ups too! Ron :)

Gerald,I should have mentioned that keeping smokless powder in the orginal container is something that I was taught many years ago,when I was learning to reload center fire ammo. As soon as I was done with the powder dump,I would return the unused portion of powder to the orginal container. There have been accidents using the wrong powder left out,or in the wrong container. Ron :)

Long term storage in vials?

Minimum: I put them in a ziplock bag and store them in a dark, cool, dry place

Max - I vaccum pack them till my next range visit..

I usually only pre-measure enough for 2 range sessions at a time.

I guess that would be the advantage of using 5744. You can measure it out as you shoot with a Lee dipper. I've got some on order,but it's gonna be hard to beat the V V N110-42gr. load,but I may be supprized! Ron :)

Doohan said:
Long term storage in vials?

Minimum: I put them in a ziplock bag and store them in a dark, cool, dry place

Max - I vaccum pack them till my next range visit..

I usually only pre-measure enough for 2 range sessions at a time.

Now this is with Triple Seven and not smokeless but I'm still on premeasured powder vials I filled before my last few range visits (September/October?). Still no difference I can detect and the deer still drop dead. I think I'm done hunting now unless I draw a late season tag. If I do, I'll still be using the same charges. I do keep them in a shotshell box and ziplocked.

Just a small tip, you should really ziplock those vials. I'm a little cautious when it comes to humidity.

Latest posts

Back