Scout SML and acceptable powders

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muzzyhans

Reaction score
Looks like a bunch of the old lever gun powders have been used, and I see Hankins prefers 4198, but I have just a few questions.

Reloader 7 max charge with a 300gr projectile would be what? I'm guessing 59-60gr? I have 7lbs of it, and would like to start using some again.

Has anyone tried the leverevolution powder?

Could someone please provide me with a link to purchase another powder burn rate chart. I swear I had one, but cannot for the life of me find the dang thing!

Ive seen a burn rate chart on Vihta Vouri and i think on Hodgdon somewhere. Ive copied and lost them a few times. I’ll try to post links to them.

IIRC, that pressure trace was done using a Rem 700, with a much thicker barrel than a Scout.
I wouldn't start out with more than 60gr RL7 with a 400gr bullet.
I'll be shooting 250-300gr bullets. I'll probably end up with a charge somewhere around 55-65gr.

Would Accurate 2200 work in a Scout conversion? I see its close to the burn rate of RE7 and the other powders mentioned. Sabots with bullets in the 195 to 220 range most likely. Its available in my area and online. Been thinking about getting a Scout and having it converted early next year.
Damn Enablers!!!!
Thanks!

Been thinking about getting a Scout and having it converted early next year.
Damn Enablers!!!!
Thanks!
If you've read my posts I purchased a Scout with the intention of converting to SML but the rifle shot so good as a 45-70 that I left it as is. I did buy another and sent the barrel to Jeff at Hankins. The conversion shoots just as good as the .45-70. Buth shoot 3 shots under MOA at 100 yds. Next year I'm planning on stretching its legs out to 300 yds. That's as far as I care to shoot.
If you're on the fence about the Scout conversion do it. You won't be sorry.

Thank you BuckDoeHunter. didn't think to look at ball or spherical, etc. Good to know and lots more to learn.

Edit ..Bronco, your and 10 Acres posts and watching a couple of Hankin's videos is what's giving me the desire to get one!

John

Would Accurate 2200 work in a Scout conversion? I see its close to the burn rate of RE7 and the other powders mentioned. Sabots with bullets in the 195 to 220 range most likely. Its available in my area and online. Been thinking about getting a Scout and having it converted early next year.
Damn Enablers!!!!
Thanks!
Do your research on how you want it setup to meet your needs.

Thank you BuckDoeHunter. didn't think to look at ball or spherical, etc. Good to know and lots more to learn.

Edit ..Bronco, your and 10 Acres posts and watching a couple of Hankin's videos is what's giving me the desire to get one!

John
You won't be sorry. And its pretty cheap for a SML.
That's about the average price. I bot both mine for $379. Shop around online. Spend the couple extra bucks and get the model with the muzzle brake. The reduction in recoil is amazing. Like shooting a .243 Win.

You won't be sorry. And its pretty cheap for a SML.

That's about the average price. I bot both mine for $379. Shop around online. Spend the couple extra bucks and get the model with the muzzle brake. The reduction in recoil is amazing. Like shooting a .243 Win.
I agree. You will like it. The CVA Scout 45-70 conversion is the least expensive way of getting into a SML. Low recoil is one of the reasons why I went smokeless.

Muzzyhans,
i think you got the last one Sportsman had in stock. No longer showing ship to my store and none online.

Bronco, by the time i add shipping and FFL fees I am at or above Sportsman's price. Looks like I'll have to wait until they come back in stock.

John

Back