Powder Vial Static and Graphite

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElDiablo

Supporting member
Reaction score
This has been mentioned a number of times before but I thought I’d start a new post with some photos.

The two common methods of reducing static cling in plastic charge vials/speed loaders are dryer sheets and powdered graphite. Powdered graphite works great. In my experience, in some plastic vials, it can be difficult to pour out all the Blackhorn 209 due to static. I pour a small amount of powdered graphite in each tube and shake it to coat the inside, then dump out all the excess.

D70DC8D8-CC5F-4EAF-A4BF-165903608B06.jpeg
4E0C1D0A-1BBF-444A-B256-1D1FE05A8460.jpeg

I thought about glass but glass and I are a recipe for disaster. I Have a ton of Lane's tubes and a mess of almost identical ones from a member here, so I just take time to give the tubes a good rubbing with a new dryer sheets. I may have to try the graphite powder as I think that is fairly compatible with modern powders.

do smokeless powders also have issues with static in tubes ? i'm thinking they will but i'm asking to be sure because i'm a dumb butt about smokeless .

do smokeless powders also have issues with static in tubes ? i'm thinking they will but i'm asking to be sure because i'm a dumb butt about smokeless .
Yes smokeless powders static cling as well in plastic. Like Alternate pointed out, dryer sheets aren't "permanent" solutions to static cling, but they do work just fine, & how big of a deal is it to simply toss old sheets when you start to see any powder cling & just add a cpl new ones.

I went with glass tubes. Never static.
i like the sound of that , did a search and found this thread over at dougs
https://dougva.proboards.com/thread/4479/powder-vials-solution...................................................
curtrohhntr said ..... "... I would rethink your choice for vials, Glass is a big NO NO for storing or carrying powder especially black powder or any of its subs. It creates a lot of static electricity and is also an excellent conductor.If will read any of the info on bp or subs theyll tell you DO NOT use glass containers of any kind! May not be that important with smokeless because it needs compression to burn but bp and subs do not, they will burn just as fast compressed as not. Believe me you do not want a glass container with 100 grs. 777 blowing up in your hand when you start to pour it down the barrel or at any other time for that matter. Im sure others here can shed more light on this subject than me but I would not use them for smokeless or bp. ........ "
i'm no electrician but i thought glass was a insulator and i was thinking that equated to no static as alternate shared . i realize anyone can say anything on the web so can you folks share if that post is accurate or not ? also interested in comments on the potiential for combustability of subs vs smokless powder in glass vs plastic vials .

ElDiablo i'll make a seperate thread asking about this if you feel it strays too far off your topic . (dang cut and paste changed my text again!)​

Last edited:
For 15 years i've used the 4 in 1 speed loaders and never had any problem with static. Loader holds powder and bullet in seperate compartments. Also holds 209 and #11 caps:

y9cn7qpl.jpg

Wrap a dryer anti static sheet around a pencil and swipe inside of tube or spray with anti static and let dry.

I converted to 100% smokeless 3 years ago and that's when I switched to glass vials.
curtrohhntr said ..... "... I would rethink your choice for vials, Glass is a big NO NO for storing or carrying powder especially black powder or any of its subs. It creates a lot of static electricity and is also an excellent conductor.If will read any of the info on bp or subs theyll tell you DO NOT use glass containers of any kind! May not be that important with smokeless because it needs compression to burn but bp and subs do not, they will burn just as fast compressed as not. Believe me you do not want a glass container with 100 grs. 777 blowing up in your hand when you start to pour it down the barrel or at any other time for that matter. Im sure others here can shed more light on this subject than me but I would not use them for smokeless or bp. ........ "
i'm no electrician but i thought glass was a insulator and i was thinking that equated to no static as alternate shared . i realize anyone can say anything on the web so can you folks share if that post is accurate or not ? also interested in comments on the potiential for combustability of subs vs smokless powder in glass vs plastic vials .
I switched to 100% smokeless 3 years ago and went to glass vials around the same time. I never get even a single kernel of powder sticking to the glass from static. If there's no static IMHO there's no combustion hazard. The glass vials have screw on tops so never any powder spilled in my backpack or pockets.

I just bought 25 lane tubes. I got glass vails too. I got BH209 tubes. I feel better toting the plastic tubes when going to the range or hunting. It's sounds like you got a sack full of Pepsi bottles, walking to the bench.
Right now I'm tube poor......not!!!!!!

The tubes (glass or plastic) fit right into those 5 round ammo carriers that go on your belt. I use308/30-06 size. I put it in my jacket pocket instead of my belt but there's no rattles.

Latest posts

Back