Power Rod In Stainless or Silver Aluminum

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PAHunter

Reaction score
Hi Guys:

I got my Savage SS Laminated ML-10 II and have mounted a Silver Leupold VX-III 3.5 X 10 on it, with silver Leupold bases and rings, looks good.

On keeping with the silver and SS theme, anybody know where I can get a SS or silver aluminum T power rod. I know it's hard enough to get these rods in black, never mind in silver. But I think the black rod sticking underneath the barrel would look better in silver.... LOL JMHO.. :)

Or maybe if the Power Rod is solid aluminum I could sand off the balck finish? What do you think?

Regards.... Jim P.

They make them only in black. I'm not sure how they put the finish on but some sort of solvent might work.

You can make your own aluminum one fairly easily- go to Lowe's or another home store and get a 3/8 aluminum rod- they have 3 & 6' lengths- just cut to length and tap both ends - I use a folding tee handle an the muzzle end a 3/8 dia. bullet seater on the other- You can take some fine steel wool to brighten it up if youed like - but I'll be going the oppisite direction after season- the barrel and ramrod will be camoed close to the green laminate on my boyds stock :think: -Getonit-

I believe the finish is anodized black, so sanding or a light sandblasting with baking soda, glass beads or plastic media would be required....

Blue-Dot-37.5

Blue-Dot-37.5. You are right about the anodized finish. I contacted XS sights about getting an aluminum finished Power Rod last year. They said that they did not have anything except the black anodized finish.

After talking with the rep for a few minutes, he said that the main reason for the black finish was for protection from blackpowder, and since I was using only smokeless that the black finish could be removed with no problem.

I used the wire wheel on my bench grinder and slowly removed the black to reveal the aluminum color that I wanted. After getting the black off of the rod, I took some fine emery cloth and smoothed out any ridges left by the wire wheel.

IMO it looks great with the stainless barrel, silver rings, bases, and silver finished Elite 4200 scope. It only took about 30 minutes to get the look on the Power Rod that I wanted.

I hope this helps.

black3

You can take more of the scratches out of it, and give it more of a satin finish if you use a green or brown Scotchbrite pad on it. Don't twist the rod, run the pad lengthwise on it. If the marks on the rod lost their black, and they are still there, you could use a thick black paint, fill them in, and carefully wipe off the excess. A black grease pencil should work too.

Blue-Dot-37.5

Power Rod

Hi Black3:

Did you take the balck off the t-handle also? Great, that's what I think I will do also.

Regards... Jim P.

PAHunter,

Yes, I took all the black off including the T handle. I think you will like the end result....it makes a nice looking rig IMO. :wink:

Back