Pre-mix real black and T7 or BH209 in a percussion sidelock?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
@deermanok wrote a while back that in some of his sidelocks he has used a little real BP mixed in with a synthetic in order get consistent ignition for a synthetic in a percussion sidelock. Deermanok made it sound like he dribbled some black in first then added the T7, but I was wondering what about if I premixed, say 5 percent black 95 percent T7…or even 10 percent black and 90 percent BH209!
A couple of questions:
1. Will making a mixture such as this ahead of time and storing it be stable? WOuld the two powders harm each other chemically in some way?
2. Will having the BP mixed in with the synthetic- and presumably evenly distributed- make ignition less likely? - Again, @deermanok sounded like he was making a powder layer cake, with the BP closes to the flash hole. So this would be different.
3. Do you think this will work in relation to BH?

Maybe I have a project for my next range day…

I’ve written about this a number of times as have many other guys. Doc White was a proponent of a small igniter charge with BH209. The 777 bottle actually specifically mentions it as well as a “starter” in flintlocks. I currently use a 5 gr bp igniter with my 777 in my Tominator shotgun.

FF170E27-3B06-4250-BE27-EB0EB9F36B22.jpeg

As for mixing, my bet is you will not see the full efficiency as you would using it as a layered charge. Not to mention, differing granule size would cause some separation if pre-mixed.

See my post #9 in this thread on using BH209 in a percussion rifle.

https://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/threads/black-horn.55817/#post-526962

I think there is a lot of potential to this idea of duplexing. Let us know how it works for you.

@deermanok wrote a while back that in some of his sidelocks he has used a little real BP mixed in with a synthetic in order get consistent ignition for a synthetic in a percussion sidelock. Deermanok made it sound like he dribbled some black in first then added the T7, but I was wondering what about if I premixed, say 5 percent black 95 percent T7…or even 10 percent black and 90 percent BH209!
A couple of questions:
1. Will making a mixture such as this ahead of time and storing it be stable? WOuld the two powders harm each other chemically in some way?
2. Will having the BP mixed in with the synthetic- and presumably evenly distributed- make ignition less likely? - Again, @deermanok sounded like he was making a powder layer cake, with the BP closes to the flash hole. So this would be different.
3. Do you think this will work in relation to BH?

Maybe I have a project for my next range day…
UPDATE: So I tried this and the results were not what I was expecting. Because I do not have my grain scale here, I put in 10 grains BP and 70 grains T72FG - all by volume. Regular CCI {not magnum} primer. All shot did ignite but there was a delay…the kind that makes it hard to stay on target. Now…in fairness to the test..the powders were not well mixed, just whatever happened by juggling them in the barrel before seating the bullet. Regardless, I was surprised by the delay. By the way, I tried one with a 1075+ cap from RWS, still a delay. So…I suppose I could try this again by thoroughly mixing the powders and seeing what happens or…stick with all BP in my sidelock because the delay throws me off. OR, if T7 is all I have, I can use the mag-spark thing and not have a delay.

Or purchase a Mag Spark adapter and use 209 primers ! Available and hot enough to light anything you want to get to go BOOM ! I use them in 5 sidelocks /weather proof /no wear like a nipple and work every time (for me)/Ed

Or purchase a Mag Spark adapter and use 209 primers ! Available and hot enough to light anything you want to get to go BOOM ! I use them in 5 sidelocks /weather proof /no wear like a nipple and work every time (for me)/Ed
I have one…got it my first season with a sidelock when no BP or #11 primers were available. I used it with T7 and a 209 primer and worked very well. In the meantime, I have 3 pounds of Swiss 2f and enough #11’s to do a battle recreation at Gettysburg…but I tell you this, if primitive season day is a wet one, I’ll put the mag spark back in without hesitating.

I don't mix the powders together. I'll dump 10 grains volume of black powder down the barrel first, followed by a volume charge of T7.
No hang fire or misfires.
I had some time this morning while waiting for the plumber…still waiting…and did just this. 10 grain black down the pipe, 70 grains T7, regular CCI #11, no lag boom. @deermanok, do you know how to lighten the trigger on the Deerhunter, it is heavy…

I had some time this morning while waiting for the plumber…still waiting…and did just this. 10 grain black down the pipe, 70 grains T7, regular CCI #11, no lag boom. @deermanok, do you know how to lighten the trigger on the Deerhunter, it is heavy…
If you know how to disassemble the lock it's possible.
I took the locks apart on several guns.
Starting with 400 grit sandpaper, I likely sanded the inside of the lock plate. Next step was to polish the plate with 600 grit polishing paper.
I also lightly polished the inside surface of the tumbler and mainspring.
Wipe down all surfaces, a bit of oil and
reassemble.
I believe that the trigger pull was lightened up quite a bit. At least it seems a lot smoother of a pull now.

Back