Precision iron sights for hunting

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello,
I am new to muzzleloading and have retired to the Rockies in northern New Mexico. The only muzzleloader I have fired 26 years ago was a BPCR original Sharps which was used by a very skillful shooter. It had a tall vernier rear sight with a huge peep sight with a tiny hole, a very small pin front sight with a globe level. While wonderfully accurate with its paper patched lead bullets, I also realized back then that these sights would be unsuitable for hunting situations.

So, I have two challenges, learning about the maximum ranges I can reliably shoot here where you can see for miles, and also utilizing sights that can provide me with potential accuracy at extended ranges. Any help that could be extended to me would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance,

WW

Hello,
I am new to muzzleloading and have retired to the Rockies in northern New Mexico. The only muzzleloader I have fired 26 years ago was a BPCR original Sharps which was used by a very skillful shooter. It had a tall vernier rear sight with a huge peep sight with a tiny hole, a very small pin front sight with a globe level. While wonderfully accurate with its paper patched lead bullets, I also realized back then that these sights would be unsuitable for hunting situations.

So, I have two challenges, learning about the maximum ranges I can reliably shoot here where you can see for miles, and also utilizing sights that can provide me with potential accuracy at extended ranges. Any help that could be extended to me would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance,

WW
You need to contact Idaho Ron who is a member on this site. He will certainly be able to give you great advise on hunting with iron sights. X

With a proper blade/ bead front sight and a larger aperture, peep sights are hard to beat and easy to use.
I have them on all my rifles and never found them wanting for any use I've put them to.
Some cite early/ late light issues. Perhaps. But perhaps it's also not the best time to shoot? Open sights can be just as limiting. And they're less accurate.

Lee Shavers makes top quality veneer sights for several models.
Shooting long range with a muzzleloader takes lots of practice. Especially if shooting big lead. Knowing your range and your sight settings are critical as well as your own ability.
Most i know on here are shooting .40 and .45 calibers long range.

The ”Western Precision Muzzleloading Sight” from Williams might deserve a look. It was designed for precise shooting when hunting areas that prohibit scopes on muzzleloaders.

https://shop.williamsgunsight.com/ecommerce/p/western-precision-muzzleloading-sight-676584
It won’t give you the ability to lob artillery rounds like that vernier sight,.. but what’s your limit for an ethical shot on an animal? Range time should help sort that out! 👍

I believe that you can use a bunch of different aperture sizes from Williams with this sight, depending upon your eyes, light conditions, distance that you’re shooting, etc.

I’ve seen the front sight inserts from Lee Shaver, that can be purchased to work with this setup. They are surely impressive… 1) I didn’t know that steel could be cut so fine, and; 2) They give you a whole bunch of options, for a sjght picture that you like.

Last edited:
The ”Western Precision Muzzleloading Sight” from Williams might deserve a look. It was designed for precise shooting when hunting areas that prohibit scopes on muzzleloaders.

https://shop.williamsgunsight.com/ecommerce/p/western-precision-muzzleloading-sight-676584
It won’t give you the ability to lob artillery rounds like that vernier sight,.. but what’s your limit for an ethical shot on an animal? Range time should help sort that out! 👍

I believe that you can use a bunch of different aperture sizes from Williams with this sight, depending upon your eyes, light conditions, distance that you’re shooting, etc.

I’ve seen the front sight inserts from Lee Shaver, that can be purchased to work with this setup. They are surely impressive… 1) I didn’t know that steel could be cut so fine, and; 2) They give you a whole bunch of options, for a sjght picture that you like.
My advice as well for a western hunter using a modern inline (on a hunt requiring iron sights).

Never having fired a muzzleloader even yet, since mine is being modified by gunsmiths I look forward to the opportunity. I have an 800 yard range and when the weapon is finished I shall look forward to testing out the ten different bullets I have gotten for this particular rifle . It was special to finally locate bh209 powder. I can use a scope, and will, on my first hunt late in the year in northern Missouri; then we shall be mounting the iron sights next Spring and I shall establish at that time what my practical limits as to distance may be.

Back