Pretty good season

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Creekrunner

Reaction score
I had a pretty successful season if I do say so myself. I was fortunate enough to harvest 3 deer this year one with my bow in Michigan and then 2 with my 700 ml here in Ohio.
Opening morning here was in the 30s which is about the coldest its been all year. I was sitting in a bowl that has several saddles that the deer pass through going to and from needing and feeding areas. By 830 I hadn't seen even a squirrel when it started a rain and snow mixed down pour. I was busy trying to keep the action dry and my Leupold's lenses from getting soaked. The down pour only lasted 10 minutes though.
As I sat there trying to make sure everything was good to go I heard squirrels raising cane behind me. As I turned to see what what's going on I got busted by a big doe who was just over a small rise 10 yards from me. When she blew at me deer started going every where. There was 12 does in that group who snuck up on my in the down pour. Anyways I locked on to a big fat doe and when a bleated at her she stopped broadside at 70 yards where i dropped in her tracks. Perfect double lung shot. I ended up missing another one in the group that hung along to long after the shot.
Fast forward to days later on Thursday I got a nice 8 pointer that I had passed on 3 times with my bow. I was hunting my brother in laws farm that is just a mile from the house. I had to work so I was getting to the farm kinda late. The night before 6 does fed within 40 yards of my nephews pirate ship play house. Since I could sneak into it without being busted I went there. After 30 minutes I herd the other guy hunting the farm shoot. Knowing he is color blind I got down and started heading his way. He called me and we decided since he didn't know how good the shot was to meet at the house and we would go from there with a plan. Since I was in the front yard play house I just walked around and stood in the back yard waiting for him. As I stood there I see this nice buck appear at 200 yards on our road to the shooting range. Next thing I know he's headed right for me at a steady speed. He cut down a 4 Wheeler trail and I yelled hey at him. He stopped perfectly broad side at 80 yards. At the shot he took off down the hill and through 2 spring creeks. As he ran you could clearly see blood spray out of him. He dropped after running maybe 75 yards. My brother in law was standing behind me the whole time and I didn't even know it. He drove my jeep down while the other guy and I walked over to him. Once we got to him he was back down in the second creek dead. We pulled him out and started checking him out. That's when we saw a slug hole in his shoulder. This was the same buck the other guy just shot at. Then we saw the wound on his back the same guy who shot him with a shot gun, shot this deer with a bow in October leaving a 6" cut almost all the way through one of his back straps. The will to live these animals have is amazing. They are such tough animals. I stuck my finger in the slug hole and found the slug had ran all the way up through into his neck under the skin. When I watched him come to me he didn't even limp on that leg. Amazing.
Anyways my gun is a 700 ml with a leupold 3*9*40 on it. I put a hunter bolt nose kit on it so I was shooting 110 grains of bh209 under a 250 grain xtp. Primer was a winchester. Between my dad and I we have been shooting 250 grain ssts for years and this was out first try with xtps and I must say the 3-4" would channel these cut are pretty lethal. We are both sold on these
http://s1347.photobucket.com/

Re: Pretty good season

congratulations on a successful hunt. Always nice to connect.

Nice job creekrunner! Hunting out of the kids playhouse :lol:

What did the guy say about his shooting? Sounds like he needs to practice up a bit. And yes, deer are amazingly tough animals.

Nice write up. I had to chuckle a bit. My daughters had a play/tree house. When they outgrew it, it was moved to the farm and enclosed. Eight deer out of it in the last year.

Me personally I think he is a poor judge of distance. I also think he gets buck fever. But this summer I am going to try to talk him into a muzzleloader. And a range finder. Lol anyways he's a good guy and I help him out whenever I get the chance. He actually has to pro hunter to use.
My nephews play house is pretty awesome as a found stand it has 360* shooting with solid rests all around good thing he likes me. Maybe one day hell be joining me in the play house lol.

Good job on the deer. Sounds like a good amount of venison in the freezer.

Question - - Is it something with my computer, or did that link take others to MY photobucket page?
I expected to see pictures of Creekrunner, but all I saw were my own pictures. :?:

Jaybe44 said:
Good job on the deer. Sounds like a good amount of venison in the freezer.

Question - - Is it something with my computer, or did that link take others to MY photobucket page?
I expected to see pictures of Creekrunner, but all I saw were my own pictures. :?:
It took me to my Photobucket home page too. When you look at a picture on your Photobucket page look for the little menu icon in the top left of that picture. Click on it and go to "Share" then select the bottom link that has the .img before and after it. Copy it, then paste it into you post.

Back