Primers, and Breech Plugs -- Random Thoughts

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
G_0493.jpg

A couple of shot primers. Note the lack of soot. These are 209a primers, and are short enough so they leak during ignition in the OEM breech plug. The breech plug used here is BESTILL' plug machined using a hobby lathe to fit Omega rifles to 209a primers.

G_0488.jpg

Note how clean the primer socket is in the Bestill breech plug; showing zero leakage during ignition. This is after about 9 shots. Overall this plug has hundreds, and hundreds of shots through it since being milled to use the Federal 209a primers in Omega rifles.

G_0490.jpg

This plug uses a bushing to provide the flash hole. With hundreds of shots through, the flash hole has grown 0.001"

G_0486.jpg

This plug fits Federal 209a primers, and CCI 209 primers, and the shorter W209 primers in Omega rifles. It has a nice deep primer socket; deeper than OEM plugs; no bulging or leak through using this Bestill plug.

G_0492.jpg

This is about the only breech plug used around here. STS primers cannot be used in this breech plug; they are too short, and would leak soot all over, and make a mess. This is a wonderful breech plug, and is favored around here. This plug cannot be modified to use the STS primers.

The following photo shows a new plug to the set of Omega breech plugs. It is quite innovative.

\G_0482.jpg

This plug is gorgeous. It is made of 17-4 stainless as is the Bestill plug, but it is also heat treated, as a result it is quite pretty. This plug is from Woodman Arms, and is completely adjustable for head space. This plug hasn't been shot. This plug can be adjusted to fit any primer in any Omega rifle without machinery. Quite the deal.

First thing done was to adjust the plug to use the 209a primer. The shorter of these primers were crushed 0.004" and longer ones were crushed 0.006". Worked good. Was going to shoot it that way but didn't. Decided to adjust the plug for the STS primers instead. That was easy! Haven't tried it yet, but it looks to be ready.

G_0483.jpg

This plug has a bushing to provide the flash hole. Surprisingly the flash hole is 0.039". That seems unusual. Perhaps the long flame channel balances it out?

The primer socket seems a tad too deep. May be hard for me to get my nails under the rim?

G_0484.jpg

Nice write up. I have the medium pressure adjustable breech plug in my Patriot. I shot 14 shots last week. Sometimes I could get the primer out with my fingers, the other times I had to use the little tool I always carry to pry them out.

When you check for primer crush on an empty chamber, do you always put in a fresh primer measuring before and after closing the action?

Ron, I do have other bushings available. .030, .035 and .040 You are correct, the length of the channel will absorb pressure. The more flame the better in my opinion, but that depends on the action strength as well. I have seen IMR4198 not ignite with a .035 bushing, and a .040 changes that. I figure in a factory Omega 50 caliber, pressure isn't very high and you should be ok with .040
As for the deep pocket, when the plug is used in higher pressure situations, you have more support. Worse case one could trim the top of the insert and not hurt anything which would give you grip.

Because there is a 0.035" bushing soon to be in the mail, a decision was made not to shoot the new plug from Mark, until the new bushing can be installed. So an unsized Bestill breech plug was chucked up and turned for to use with STS primers. The favorite hunting rifle was then loaded using the new plug, and we went up to shoot. Alas there were cows scattered through every unit; there was no clean place to shoot. There are strays all over. We came home with a loaded rifle.

Tomorrow will head in a different direction; will find a place without strays.

View attachment 36967

A couple of shot primers. Note the lack of soot. These are 209a primers, and are short enough so they leak during ignition in the OEM breech plug. The breech plug used here is BESTILL' plug machined using a hobby lathe to fit Omega rifles to 209a primers.

View attachment 36968

Note how clean the primer socket is in the Bestill breech plug; showing zero leakage during ignition. This is after about 9 shots. Overall this plug has hundreds, and hundreds of shots through it since being milled to use the Federal 209a primers in Omega rifles.

View attachment 36969

This plug uses a bushing to provide the flash hole. With hundreds of shots through, the flash hole has grown 0.001"

View attachment 36970

This plug fits Federal 209a primers, and CCI 209 primers, and the shorter W209 primers in Omega rifles. It has a nice deep primer socket; deeper than OEM plugs; no bulging or leak through using this Bestill plug.

View attachment 36971

This is about the only breech plug used around here. STS primers cannot be used in this breech plug; they are too short, and would leak soot all over, and make a mess. This is a wonderful breech plug, and is favored around here. This plug cannot be modified to use the STS primers.

The following photo shows a new plug to the set of Omega breech plugs. It is quite innovative.

\View attachment 36972

This plug is gorgeous. It is made of 17-4 stainless as is the Bestill plug, but it is also heat treated, as a result it is quite pretty. This plug is from Woodman Arms, and is completely adjustable for head space. This plug hasn't been shot. This plug can be adjusted to fit any primer in any Omega rifle without machinery. Quite the deal.

First thing done was to adjust the plug to use the 209a primer. The shorter of these primers were crushed 0.004" and longer ones were crushed 0.006". Worked good. Was going to shoot it that way but didn't. Decided to adjust the plug for the STS primers instead. That was easy! Haven't tried it yet, but it looks to be ready.

View attachment 36973

This plug has a bushing to provide the flash hole. Surprisingly the flash hole is 0.039". That seems unusual. Perhaps the long flame channel balances it out?

The primer socket seems a tad too deep. May be hard for me to get my nails under the rim?

View attachment 36975
great post, Thanks

Made it out this morning and made three shots on paper. Put the newly turned Bestill plug into my favorite hunting rifle. Set the target out at 75 yard, because the rifle has a 1X scope on it. Load was 100 grqin Blackhorn, STS primer, and 340g Bore Driver ELDX.

Was curious to see how the breech plug, and primer worked in the rifle, and also how the ELDX bullet would work in the 28 twist rifle with the QLA intact.

First the primers

G_0496.jpg

Primers are clean as hoped for, but there is a little too much 'crush' One doesn't want to take too much off the plug when turning. We definitely didn't. Sneaking up on the right cut is how we like to do. We will remove some more material and make the 'crush' some less than 0.010".

Rifle, and breech plug are clean.

G_0495.jpg

The ELDX bullets worked in the 28-twist barrel with the QLA.

G_0494.jpg

Recoil plenty shooting the Dream Season.

The bushing with 0.035" flash hole arrived yesterday. In the package with was a bushing with a 0.030" flash hole at no extra cost to me. Thank you, Mark.

Removed the 0.040" bushing and replaced it with the 0.035" bushing. Head space adjustment stayed the same.

In spite of stray cows was able to make three shots using the Woodman plug. It worked good. Zero, none leaking. The STS primers came out easily using only fingernails and came out clean.

G_0500.jpg

G_0510.jpg

G_0505.jpg

Did some shooting this morning. Using the hunting rifle (50 caliber Omega Dream Season, 1X scope) and a load of 100g Blackhorn, STS primer, Green Tipped 265g Fury STB bullet, black crush rib sabot. Target was out 75 yard. Woodman breech plug was set to crush STS primers 0.005". Zero blow by shown on primers or in the primer socket.

G_0515.jpg

G_0517.jpg

Latest posts

Back