primers continued

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

max

Reaction score
I had problems with misfires with 777 primers so I switched to CCI shotgun primers.

Went through the remainder of the hunting season without cleaning the plug - maybe 6-8 rounds.

After getting skunked for the first time in modern history, I set out to clean for the final time.

The breech plug had what I think was burned primer almost fused onto the end and some of the sides of the plug. Had to resort to good old Hoppes and a brass brush. It was a bear to get clean.

So either I have to stop using the regular shotgun primers - or clean right after shooting???

Max

You REALLY need to clean after shooting, within a day or so. What I ALWAYS do and have never had a problem, regardless of primer used..

max,use a 1/8 inch drill bit. It will clean the flash channel out easily! :D

Will do. I still have the plug out. I also need to get some new O rings.

Not to hijack your thread or anything...but was thinking of trying to get some O rings to fit my regular Encore breechplug to see if that helped blowback. There is a groove in the plug at the rear of the threads that a O ring should fit in. Anybody try it?

I have some serious fouling on the threads on the pro-hunter. I read that thread about using teflon tape, and plan to give that a try too.

max,Take your orginal "O" ring with you to a auto parts(NAPA,ect.) store. I did,as mine had a little tear in it. They are around 0.25 cents apeice. I went nuts and spent a buck :D I now have three spares. The teflon tape does work well. Ron

Ok , the first post stated something of miss fires using T7 primers was this from lack of cleaning , because I have just gotten an Omega ,T7 powder & primers , should I be concerned ? Or just keep what I've always done an keep my rifle as clean as I can .

o rings

I wonder if Napa auto parts has the "O" rings for 12 gauge automatic shotguns. Might as well get it ALL done in one trip.

Thanks again..RKS1949

Choc-dog

choc-dog, You may want to try Ebay. I picked up some there for an 11-87 that I used to have. The best part about was the price I paid for them and they were a good quality o-ring.

I had a few misfires with the triple seven primers. They just don't seem to be as reliable as the regular shotgun primer, but the powder used in shotgun primers requires solvents to clean.

Blackpowder cleans with water based cleaners.

I really don't know what to say. Many here have never had trouble with muzzleloader primers.

The best advice so far is to clean your plug after a range day, or when you know the gun won't be used for a while. Don't leave that burned stuff on there - I had a heck of a time gettingit clean leaving it a few rounds dirty and a couple of weeks...

Max

Latest posts

Back