Projectile consistency

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sparkitoff1

Reaction score
Most of you know bullets do crazy, unexplainable things sometimes when they hit something. On the other hand, some designs tend to be very repeatable no matter what you shoot with them, how far, etc. As a retired PH I have seen a few thousand animals shot with all kind of bullets in different diameters and velocities. A few stand out as "predictable" - you just know that if you recover it, it will look just like all the other's you've recovered.

How about PRB? In reading and talking to others I notice 3 distinct groups. One says "never recovered a ball", another says "always on off-side flat as a pancake" and the third says "you could almost reload it and shoot it again".

I admit I have only shoot a handful of big game with roundball. In both cases the ball was a Hornady swaged lead ball of appropriate caliber. I've had lengthwise penetration on a red deer hind - no telling what the ball looked like but I can't believe it was "flat as a pancake" and still made it through 3 feet of animal. Another on a cow elk was bulged out just under the hide on the off-side.  That one had a little line in it where it hit a bone. Otherwise it was round and essentially the same caliber as when it was loaded. Others have been similar to these two - total penetration or still recognizable as a round ball of 'X" caliber.

If you use the same brand ball (or home cast recipe) are you getting consistent performance or does it vary widely?

If you use some conical bullet I solicit your experiences as well.

In order to evaluate this information it will be helpful if you state the powder charge or velocity and the range to impact - if you know it for specific instances.

Thanks!

If you could use the ball again, it's not pure lead. It has to be much harder.
If the ball pancakes too early you're using too much powder.

That makes sense, no doubt.  Hornady says "pure lead swaged" for their roundballs. They don't seem to expand  or flatten in my limited use and I am running a .530 at 1735 fps. Animals have been from 25-80 yards.

Sparkitoff said:
That makes sense, no doubt.  Hornady says "pure lead swaged" for their roundballs. They don't seem to expand  or flatten in my limited use and I am running a .530 at 1735 fps. Animals have been from 25-80 yards.
Used the same Ball many years and have recovered a few and they expanded about half.

Push by 90Gr. Pyrodex.

oneshot

I have yet to recover a ball from the deer that I have shot.  I hunt with a .54 flintlock with a .530 home cast ball of pure lead and 80 grains of 3f.  I am picky about the shots I take.  Most all of the deer taken have been broad side or slightly quartering away at 60 yards or less.  My eyes are not good enough with open sights for shots beyond 75 yards.  I sometimes use a .58 caplock in inclement weather.  I have never recovered a ball using this gun either.  Complete pass thru using a home cast, pure lead .575 ball and 120 grains of 2f.  Many of my friends have had similar experience.  The only time a ball has been recovered has been on full length shots at head on deer or if the ball happens to hit a major bone group.

Back