propane heater

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jims

Reaction score
Any suggestions on safety, type, size of a propane heater in an elevated, enclosed deer stand with windows. A chimney or flue is not possible and I do not want to use it on my last hunt (C.O. poisoning). Even dressed warmly 12 hours in the cold is getting more difficult to take all the time. Thanks The interior size is less than 4x4 so there is not a lot of room for anything.

I would have to suggest one of them propane buddy heaters. I use one in my duck blind and it works great. They are made to use indoors, they also have a oxygen safety shut off. They start around $70

I just bought a portable stove from Coleman ( single burner that fits on top of the 1lb tanks ) for a portable duckblind cooker I think would work. It puts out a good amount of heat. The more heat the louder it is though, but in the situation you discribed it wouldn't have to be very high. It would be very portable and not take up to much room and you could cook, make coffee,tea or heat a sandwich on it if the need ever came up. It cost me $25.00.

KEEP THE WINDOWS CRACKED AN INCH OR TWO. :!: MAKE SURE YOU HAVE GOOD VENTILATION OR IT COULD BE YOUR LAST HUNT. :cry: :cry:

jims,
I don't know if you can find one, but I use a Coleman Propane Radiant Heater with a 3500-5000 BTU adjustable input. It uses the 1# bottles. It has a 6"x11" adjustable reflector on the front and is very lt wt, about 3# including bottle. It has Electronic Ignition and no matches are required.

It also is very stable with a 7'x12" footprint and will not tip over. On high it is very quiet and ten yards from blind you can't hear it working. My son and I use it in our Double Bull ground blind when the weather turns real cold and the blind measures 6'x6'x 6' high. Set on low it will keep the temp inside the blind @ appx 60 degrees and on high it will get up to about 70 degrees. You can comfortly sit without a coat, gloves,hat, etc on, or for that matter boots either, if you want to warm your toes.

I have never experienced any problems with carbon dioxide with only a small amount of ventilation. I have used this heater for over 3 years and am so impressed with it, if I could locate another one I would buy it for a spare.

A hunting buddy of mine uses a Mr. Buddy and he likes it also. When the going gets tough and you want to stay out all day you can't beat a good blind and a propane heater with a heat reflector.

For the hard core guys that want to hunt out of a treestand or still hunt on the ground when it gets real cold can still use this as an option for a place to go to warm up and to rest, eat, etc and still be out hunting. I would definitely get one.

IMO this is a must have hunting accy for anyone who hunts out of a blind when it gets bitter cold.........Good Luck!
Pocampo

I have one of those little Colman burners that doggzoe meantioned. Have used it to cook a few times, and to heat an enclosed trailer at night while sleeping in it many times. When sleeping in the trailer I always seal it up as tight as I can get it, and it has never activated my carbonmonoxide detector.

Pocampo said:
jims,
I don't know if you can find one, but I use a Coleman Propane Radiant Heater with a 3500-5000 BTU adjustable input. It uses the 1# bottles. It has a 6"x11" adjustable reflector on the front and is very lt wt, about 3# including bottle. It has Electronic Ignition and no matches are required.

It also is very stable with a 7'x12" footprint and will not tip over. On high it is very quiet and ten yards from blind you can't hear it working. My son and I use it in our Double Bull ground blind when the weather turns real cold and the blind measures 6'x6'x 6' high. Set on low it will keep the temp inside the blind @ appx 60 degrees and on high it will get up to about 70 degrees. You can comfortly sit without a coat, gloves,hat, etc on, or for that matter boots either, if you want to warm your toes.

I have never experienced any problems with carbon dioxide with only a small amount of ventilation. I have used this heater for over 3 years and am so impressed with it, if I could locate another one I would buy it for a spare.

A hunting buddy of mine uses a Mr. Buddy and he likes it also. When the going gets tough and you want to stay out all day you can't beat a good blind and a propane heater with a heat reflector.

For the hard core guys that want to hunt out of a treestand or still hunt on the ground when it gets real cold can still use this as an option for a place to go to warm up and to rest, eat, etc and still be out hunting. I would definitely get one.

IMO this is a must have hunting accy for anyone who hunts out of a blind when it gets bitter cold.........Good Luck!
Pocampo

Ditto's on the Coleman..They kept my tent nice and toasty this year...

Thanks for all the information. I did not need it this year in Ohio as the temperature was 65F the first day. I will have something ready by next year however.

The Buddy Heater you can get one direct from them that is recoconditioned for a great price if they have them they usuaully do. It has a CO and well as a tip sensor for safety as well as as a button ignitor as well as and a low and high in case it gets to warm inside. Uses 1 Lbs or even a 20 lber...

Great heater or you can get a Big Buddy that has a fan battery operated...

The little Buddy works well...

Good Luck...
LFM :arrow:

I just received an expensive lesson about propane heaters. In a prior post I mentioned a certain Coleman Propane Radiant Heater that I thought was very good and no longer being made and that I would like to find one to buy for a spare.

It is called the Coleman Focus 5 Propane Heater. If you go to Ebay and type that phrase into the search box you will see some for sale.

What astounded me most was the price they are bringing from $75 to $135 ea and most are used and in various conditions.

I believe Coleman stopped making these little propane (jems) heaters (which by the way were the most popular ones they ever made) about 1993 and at that time the MSRP was $39.95.

If you have one of these little jems I would hold onto it and if you know where you can get one for $50 or less you better buy it or call me, ha,ha. I ended up purchasing one NIB from a guy in Iowa for $125 and was lucky to get it at that price. It is going to be a Xmas present for my son and will be appreciated i'm sure next year during deer season.
Pocampo

Not sure but it might be that today they are requiring more safety features so if it tips over it shuts off automatically and oxygen sensor to again shut off if it senses lack there of... If you check most of the new ones they have it if not they suggest not buying unless they do... Last year here in Michigan two guys used one without these inside a tent and deplete the oxygen and died while out hunting...

I have one but it is well used and my friend died this year so I give him my old one since I have a Buddy Heater...

LFM

I use heaters in my Ohio deer hunting boxes. They are sealed up pretty tightly from the weather.

I would suggest that what ever heater you purchase that it have a low oxygen sensor. There is no sense dying while trying to stay warm. Two hunters in Wyoming this year died while using a propane heater in their tent.

The Mr. Heater, buddy heaters have a really good reputation.

On my recent hunt with my son in an enclosed ground blind (tent with lots of windows) I used a Paulin Pup heater www.paulinproducts.com on a low setting it gives 4000 BTU and on high it's 8000 BTU. It worked great and it utilizes the 16.4 oz. propane bottles. I think you get about 3 hrs. of heat when running it on high. Iy is designed for use in tents and utilizes a low oxygen sensor shut-off

Here's a pic of the unit:

DSC01798Medium.jpg

DSC01799Medium.jpg

That looks just like the buddy heater I have and I think it is a 4000 to 8000 btu and uses the 1lb bottle or you can buy the $10 adapter and use bulk bottles. They also have the big buddy which has a electric fan that runs off of batteries and I think it goes up to 18000btu

VENISONEATR,
I especially like the look of this little PUP heater. It's the first one that I have seen other than the Coleman Focus 5 that has a metal heat reflector going all the way around the burner element (funnel shaped) directing the heat out the front. It also looks like it would be very stable and reasonably lt wt. With the added bonus of the oxygen sensor this looks to be a winner. I will certainly check this little guy out on the web and keep this in mind for all future deer blinds we add. Thanks for the good info and great photos. How about placing this in the Product Reviews Section with the photos and a web link to their site for future reference.
Pocampo

With the Buddy Heater, Since I got my first one... They now recommend turning off the bulk tank first and let the heater go out that way, seems that the pressure on the rubber hose seems to put of something with the oil from the propane and clogs up the regulator if continued leaving on the propane. They now have a filter to cut back on this otherwise the heater will work intermittly especailly when it is cold and you are hunting.
The filter they say is good for a year but I only use my heater for rifle hunting here in Michigan so only about 2.5 weeks a year. They are available direct from Mr. Heater in OHIO. They are 10.00. Might be worth the investment... I had to replace the regulator because of this never knew you should turn off the gas first and let it go out on its own. I use a bulk tank 20 lbs...

Mike/LFM

On any of the different brands that I have used with propane they all said to shut the tank off first.

Yes but the first I got had not label on it stating this that has since changed they have a label advising of this. So Now that is the way but they say that there is an oil in the Propane that makes it into the regulator and over time will clog it up. Only when using a bulk tank the 1 lbs cylinders don't have this issue but the time to switch out the 1 lb and disposing of them is another issue...

Thanks though just want others to know about this to save them from having to replace the regulator...

Mike/LFM

Kim said:
The Mr. Heater, buddy heaters have a really good reputation.
I like the looks of these little portable propane heaters. I see Cabela's and Bass Pro Shops both carry them. I think I'll buy myself one of them before next season for use in the blind!

Pocampo said:
How about placing this in the Product Reviews Section with the photos and a web link to their site for future reference.
Pocampo

Great idea.. will do!

Back