Proper loads for a Pursuit XLT????

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m_bathke

Reaction score
I recently purchased a Pursuit XLT .50 cal muzzle loader and I am unsure of what loads are safe in this muzzle loader. I wanted to try 200gr, 250gr, and 300gr all at 100gr and 150gr of triple7 pellets but will lighter bullets create excessive pressures that might be dangerous. There really isn't any info on this that I found in the owners manual or the on their website. If anyone could help me out on this it would be greatly appreciated, also if anyone has a load figured out for this rifle that works well out to 200yds and is willing to share it, that would be great too.

m_bathke said:
I recently purchased a Pursuit XLT .50 cal muzzle loader and I am unsure of what loads are safe in this muzzle loader. I wanted to try 200gr, 250gr, and 300gr all at 100gr and 150gr of triple7 pellets but will lighter bullets create excessive pressures that might be dangerous. There really isn't any info on this that I found in the owners manual or the on their website. If anyone could help me out on this it would be greatly appreciated, also if anyone has a load figured out for this rifle that works well out to 200yds and is willing to share it, that would be great too.

Now we are back to the old question of barrel pressures. And there was a lot of discussion about all of that in the past and I do not want to dig that back up.

The XLT is the top of the line Pursuit. I guess the point is, not whether I think it is safe to shoot 150 grains of pellets, but whether you think it is safe. You're pulling the trigger. The manual does list the rifle as a magnum rifle able to shoot three pellets safely I believe. But review your manual again, under recommended safe powder charges. Hodgdon's the maker of Pyrodex and Triple Se7en pellets suggest two pellets to be safe in your rifle or any rifle for that matter.

Another alternative is get the 30 grain pellets and load three or four of them. 90-120 grains of pellets are good strong loads, and might make you feel a little better about pulling the trigger. I do know that there are Pursuit owners out there that claim/report they shoot three 50 grain pellets with no problems.

A lot of this powder charge safety levels might be lawyers and company CYA statements. But still, two pellets is still a lot of powder. 100 grains of powder is a strong load. Is it able to shoot 200 yards. Yes, it is. The question is are you able to shoot 200 yards and consistently hit your target. That is a long distance for a muzzleloader in any one's book. Know your limitations. On Deer size game, I have no doubt that 100 grains of pellets would get the job done on a deer at 200 yard if you placed the right projectile in the right place. Plus you might get better accuracy with 100 grains then with 150 grains, and save yourself some money at the same time.

I have an old CVA Staghorn Magnum which as you might be aware, the barrels are made in Spain by the same company that makes the Pursuit barrel I believe. I do not shoot 150 grain charges from the rifle. I have set a "personal limit" for my own piece of mind, at 100 grains of powder. I also shoot loose powder. The rifle shoots best with 90 grains of Pyrodex RS and many projectiles. Would I shoot 200 yards? Nope, we are not allowed scopes, and my eyes and my rifle are just now willing to shoot that far. I limit my shooting to 100 yards.

Get to know your rifle. Try some 2 pellet loads with 240 & 300 grain XTP's. Also try some 200, 250, and 300 grain Shockwaves with 100 grains of powder. The shockwaves would be my choice for long distance. You might also want to try some 245 grain Powerbelts with the Aero tip. Not my personal choice, but they might shoot well.

Or get some loose powder. Measure out 80 grains and shoot a 240 grain XTP then some of the other bullets mentioned. Move up in powder to 90, even 100 grains of the loose. But with loose powder I would stop at 100 grains, and I think your manual even recommends only 100 grains of loose powder. Use the best powder charge for the best accuracy.

Maybe then you might want to try and shorten the distance to the animal you are hunting. That is half the fun of a muzzleloader. Pick your projectiles to match your kind of shooting. Or practice a lot, and place your shot. I am sure you know what is best. The best of luck with your rifle. Keep us posted as to how it shoots...

Also, let me take this opportunity to welcome you to the forum. It is great to have you here. I hope we can help you with some information, and in turn I am sure you will help us. So anything you might have a question about, feel free to ask away.

Dave

I wanted to try 200gr, 250gr, and 300gr all at 100gr and 150gr of triple7 pellets but will lighter bullets create excessive pressures that might be dangerous.

Actually, it's just the opposite. Using the same powder charge, a HEAVIER bullet will give increased pressure.

I just read in the owners manual of a Traditions Pursuit XLT muzzleloader(available on their website www.traditionsmuzzle.com ). It states:

"The maximum powder load for the break-open muzzleloaders when using Pyrodex powder is 150gr.

The maximum powder load for the break-open muzzleloaders when using Triple 7 loose powder is 130gr."

That's about all they say. I agree that it is probably safe to shoot that rifle with 150gr of any pellet powder with a 250gr bullet or lighter. I'd probably start out using 2 pellets of whatever and a 250gr XTP, 250gr SST/Shockwave, or 250gr Parker. They will all probably shoot at least pretty good.

Welcome to the forum! :D

Latest posts

Back