Protecting the kill?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A new dilemma for me…I am facing a potential situation where I will make a kill, gut the animal and then have to walk 15-20 min back to the truck to get my sled and then 15-20 minutes back to the kill. I was thinking of gutting the animal to start cooling and then head back to the truck to get the sled…but there are coyotes in the area and I am afraid if I leave a gutted deer on the ground for a 40 minutes, I may be missing a whole lot of meat when I return. Anybody have any experience with this…we are talking the woods of MD or PA, not western hunting.

A tip from an old hunter I know. He always said to leave an article of clothing on the deer while you're gone.
The coyotes will pick up the human scent on the carcass and leave it alone.
Can't say if it actually works but I've been doing this for years and haven't had my deer bothered by any critters.

X3(4?) Move the deer far from the gut pile and leave some of your clothes on it. smelly sock, underwear you pissed cuz the deer was huge(before you shot it), a shirt thats all sweaty from gutting and dragging. I usually tag it, throw my jacket on it, then cover it in leaves and branches, yotes arent the only ones to steal a deer.

Members have said several good ways that will help. If you hunt not to far from truck, you can take a sled part of the way. I have gutted a many tick toter. I skin the back half n cut into. I tote half out on my 1st trip out. Usually the other half can be pulled by good small rope up in tree.

normally I would laugh at the thought. but i for sure have had yotes on one left in the woods while i went for an atv. and they done a LOT of damage in an hour.

i lost the blood trail of one in the rain at dark and found the bones at daybreak the next day. the head and horns were all that was left.

would i leave one now? yes. i would not hesitate to leave one while i went for a sled or atv.

I leave scent through whatever bodily functions present. Never had a problem. Just killed a cow elk yesterday and left 2/3 of her overnight. I'd seen a pack of about 8 coyotes near by a couple days prior, but she was all still there, waiting for me to pack her out.

A new dilemma for me…I am facing a potential situation where I will make a kill, gut the animal and then have to walk 15-20 min back to the truck to get my sled and then 15-20 minutes back to the kill. I was thinking of gutting the animal to start cooling and then head back to the truck to get the sled…but there are coyotes in the area and I am afraid if I leave a gutted deer on the ground for a 40 minutes, I may be missing a whole lot of meat when I return. Anybody have any experience with this…we are talking the woods of MD or PA, not western hunting.
Easy I leave my coat on top and pee in the general area , never lost meat yet and we have lots of canines !/Ed

i swear the coyotes here hear gunshots as the dinner bell. Several times i've had coyotes at or near the kill when i arrived. michigan muzzy and others are right: Don't leave the carcass near the gut pile. Urinate near the carcass and leave a garment on the animal.

After retrieving the animal i sometimes set up on the gut pile and execute a coyote or two.

I’ve heard stories of coyotes getting on fresh kills before the hunter can get out of the stand to retrieve it, but in 40+ years of hunting and well over 300 kills, I’ve never had it happen to me. I’ve set out a carcass and put a camera on it multiple times, and every time it’s taken at least a day for coyotes or buzzards to find it.
If this is a real concern, I’d do what others have said and leave an article of clothing with human scent on the carcass.

I’ve heard stories of coyotes getting on fresh kills before the hunter can get out of the stand to retrieve it, but in 40+ years of hunting and well over 300 kills, I’ve never had it happen to me. I’ve set out a carcass and put a camera on it multiple times, and every time it’s taken at least a day for coyotes or buzzards to find it.
If this is a real concern, I’d do what others have said and leave an article of clothing with human scent on the carcass.
I have the same as you only if left out over nite, all my gut piles are gone the next day . Buzzards and yotes too by me and some farm dogs

In summer 2023 the owner of an organic vegetable farm where i trap marauding hogs called. Two 150 pound hogs were found in the trap in the afternoon. Hauled the dead hogs to the disposal area about dusk. Next morning the remains consisted of a large greasy patch, some hair and small pieces of hide.

Shot a large boar after dark. Heard the hog crash about 75 yards away. By noon the following day little was left of the 250-275 pound hog.

Couple years ago i had a poacher shooting deer at a feeder. i dragged a large dead coyote near the feeder. Deer, raccoons, and possums stopped coming until a drug the coyote away after deer season.

i swear the coyotes here hear gunshots as the dinner bell. Several times i've had coyotes at or near the kill when i arrived. michigan muzzy and others are right: Don't leave the carcass near the gut pile. Urinate near the carcass and leave a garment on the animal.

After retrieving the animal i sometimes set up on the gut pile and execute a coyote or two.
That gives me a hell of an idea! Thanx Okie!

Latest posts

Back