Pyrodex Pellets In Sidelocks?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fiddler

Reaction score
I haven't shot a muzzleloader since the 1980's. I just found a Lyman Deerstalker in a pawn shop and it seemed like a pretty good deal since all the accessories came with it. Saves me having to hunt all that stuff down.
Pyrodex pellets won't work in such a rifle, right? From what info I've found on the internet, those are made for inline muzzleloaders, right?
Just want to be sure since I'll be test-firing my new rifle this weekend and don't want to start off with a mistake.
Any info and advice would be appreciated.

Your right. They were not meant to be used with cap ignitions. Stick with loose Black powder, Pyrodex or 777 and your good to go with the caps.

it's getting much harder to find black powder locally, and mail order quickly becomes the only option. but if at all possible to acquire, black is absolutely best by far, none of the subs can compete, imho and ymmv.

In the Lyman Deerstalker that has a #11 ignition system I use black powder, pyrodex, or 777 powder. Also with all my Lymans I purchased a RMC. Sports stainless nipple and replaced the Lyman. I had too many "problems" with the Lyman nipple. That Deer stalker is a good rifle. Loose powder and prepare the rifle first, and you have no problems.

Latest posts

Back