Pyrodex vs. Black Powder

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Overdue Bill

Reaction score
I've shot muzzle loaders some for many years but I don't shoot that much, not near as much as I should.  Been reading this forum a bunch and have a question-(another question)  Other than the availability of pyrodex what are the advantages of pyrodex over black powder or visa versa.

There are no advantages of Pyrodex over black powder other than availability as far as I'm concerned.
Black powder is easier to ignite and not nearly as corrosive as Pyrodex.

I have about 5 pounds of pyrodex and 31 pounds of black powder. I prefer the black to the pyrodex. Nothing wrong with pyrodex if thats all you can get but the "real stuff" is just better. And BP does light better. Plus unless it gets wet it will last forever. Pyrodex can get a little lumpy but it breaks back apart and it doesn't seem to affect it. 

The best way to buy BP is to buy in bulk from someone like Powdervalleyinc and get a bud or two to go in and buy 25 pounds so you get free shipping and free hazmat. That was what I did many years ago and then the two others that went in with me backed out on how much powder they wanted so I was left holding the bag so to speak. Now I am glad they did. Thats why I have so much on hand.

I have never found pyrodex to be more corrosive but then my guns are cleaned after shooting as soon as I can get to them.

Unless I am shooting my flintlock, pyrodex gets used a lot for target practice and hunting at times. Pyrodex and the other subs are just easier to buy locally.

As for what's more corrosive, I've gone 2 weeks with pyrodex and no I'll effects in my bores.

Clean them at the end of the day no matter what powder you shoot.

IMO:  Pyrodex and black powder are equals when it comes to rusting/corrosion.   The primary culprit in both is sulfur.   

The bore of my cheap CVA rifle is  pristine  after firing over 3,000 rounds, mostly using Pyrodex.   It's really easy; simply clean the rifle.

Ive used Pyrodex in my TC Hawken 54 but it required a 10gr “booster charge” of Goex 2F to 70grs of Pyrodex RS.
This was just something I wanted to try. I use only straight black powder for my sidelocks and flintlock amd leave the substitutes for my inlines.

Back