QUESTION: The website shows pictures of frontiersmen..

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buck Conner1

Reaction score
Question: The website shows pictures of frontiersmen, most subjects are related to muzzleloaders in the sections I have been viewing. That said, here's the question; how many of you folks are active re-enactors, go to rendezvous or do living history or are interested in learning the old ways to survive? I'm sure you guys could share some really great replies on your thoughts to this subject.

We have seen in the last few years the interest develope for survival tools, food  and supplies (big business). "Emergency Preparedness" and "Neighborhood Watch" programs seem to be the hot topics.

Well, thinking about this; if you do period mountain man events, the equipage you use can also be used in real life

"Emergency Preparedness" - "Neighborhood Watch" situations. Surviving is not new, don't spend extra money when you probably have what is needed in your mountain man stuff already. 

What do you think, would this be of interest?  :shock:  :roll:

IMO, a lot of the mountain men stuff you can still buy and use today and better than todays modern mountain man junk thats engineered to be cheap but have a lot of marketing behind it to give it a push and make it look useful. There is a some good modern day stuff thats smaller and compact, but how much better does it hold up? thats the real question. Back packs these days certainly are most likely more comfortable, water containers, survival straws that can keep you hydrated without chemical pills or boiling certainly is nice to have in a pinch.

What is survival.... Thats the biggest question. You can think play time survival VS holy crap, the plane is going down.... holy crap! I just rolled the jeep off a mountain..... When those 2 cases happen, its most likely you have very little gear on hand until you start scrapping the usable parts that you brought with you or the plane/jeep provides.

FrontierGander said:
What is survival.... Thats the biggest question. You can think play time survival VS holy crap, the plane is going down.... holy crap! I just rolled the jeep off a mountain..... When those 2 cases happen, its most likely you have very little gear on hand until you start scrapping the usable parts that you brought with you or the plane/jeep provides.
My friend,

I can provide the readers with a list of survival supplies that I have on hand as well as resources. This is a combined list from church groups, boy scouts, girl scouts and the federal government. Took a half dozen lists got rid of duplications and made a master list for a more complete list of items that everyone thought was needed.

Then I can show the readers what my period equipage list looks like, that replace items of more modern goods that are duplicated. Like you said some of the modern goods has a short use life. As for lists I also have a list of what's carried in each of our vehicles in a back pack that will provide your needs up to a week if need be.

Is it possible for you to add another section for all the readers to see without going into an area on the site that they aren't interested in. Title it something like "PERIOD & MODERN SURVIVAL" - that could be foods list, equipment and so-on. Then move the postings dealing with edibles that I have provided to this area. Possibly get more taking part than just looking, what do you think? Readers are wonderful, but most sites would like more of those readers to share their thoughts. Crap I can ramble on forever (per the wife) and sometimes go off on a wrong path, that's when a reader will let you know you missed the turn. :(

Yes I can certainly add Period and modern survival section to the forum, just take me some time to do the imaging and setting up the new category area.

Great, I can keep pumping a few out each morning, get up at 5AM to let the dog out, feed her and the two cats. Then get on the computer until 9AM when the wife starts moving. I have a resource of another 100 articles at least. Then have ideas for another 100 or more probably, plus answering and trying to help folks.

ok survival can now be found in the HuntingLodge section of the forum.
https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com/f34-the-hunting-lodge

Latest posts

Back