Questions and range report

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CarlV

Reaction score
20 degrees yesterday, but kind of nice out so I headed for the range to test a couple of bullets/sabots/loads in my Remington Genisis. All shooting at 100 yards.

First off, I'm giving up on the Hornady FFB's. Not worth the trouble trying to load them.

Next, I had bought some Knight bullets labled as Barnes PBT "NEW" EZ Load sabots.

DSCN0222.jpg

I thought these were the standard Barnes EZ load ones, but they are boat tail instead of flat base??? (my first question)

Anyways, I measured them at .501, they load easy
90 gr BH209 they shot 2 into one hole, 1 more 2" away
100 gr BH209 they shot a nice 1 1/2" group
110 gr BH209 they shot 2 into one hole, 1 more 1 1/2" away.

This is very promising since I'm not the most steady off the bench and I only have a cheapy 6X scope on the rifle right now.

Next I wanted to try the .458 Nozler 300 gr partition with the MMP orange sabot. I heard about this on here and have always been a real fan of the partition bullet.

They measured .5035 for me and I had some reservations about their loading but they loaded fairly easily.

DSCN0225.jpg

DSCN0226.jpg

90 gr BH209 was a 4" group :( This very well might have been me.
100 gr BH209 went into a nice 1 1/2" group. :)

Now this is weird - I didn't get any pictures, but when I went looking for the orange MMP sabots I couldn't find one that had more than 1 petal still attached to the base. There were loose petals lying all over the snow.

This is an indication of a severe overload, isn't it???? (my next question) I wouldn't think that would be the case with those loads.

Nosler on the left, Barnes on the right

DSCN0227.jpg

DSCN0228.jpg

Now, my last question. the last time I was at the range I was using the Remington STS 209 primer and shot over 40 times with no issues lighting off Blackhorn 209 powder.

This time, using the same primer and powder, I started experiencing some delayed ignitions after about 20 shots. Returning home, I discovered the primer channel in the breech plug was extreemely crudded up, requiring a bunch of effort to drill out with a 1/8" drill.

Could it have been a differance in humidity or something? Anyone have a guess?

Thanks for everything I've been learning on here.

Carl

Sabots will break apart all the time. Shoot a 200 grain Shockwave sometime and its in pieces down range. As long as they are accurate, that is all that matters.

I have no problems loading the Hornady FPB's in my Genesis. Next time out, I will try them again. I only shot five of them so far as I did not want to waste them.

As for the crud in the breech plug, you might say its one of BlackHorns ghosts. It suddenly appears. I will venture to say, the build up started the first time you shot, and then this second time you just finished plugging the fire channel up. I noticed the same thing too.

I believe some sabots are designed to break petal I know I have seen a number that did some of them were with grouped under an inch, if they shoot that good then they are not having an effect on accuracy so I would not worry about it. Lee

DSCN0225.jpg

Carl, you can buy bulk rem/win bullets from places like midwayusa for much less and then get some sabots for them somewhere.

Those partitions are probably forty dollars a box or more.

If you want a premo bullet the 300 gr xtp, though .429 are an excellent value

Anyhow I'll buzz off and probably stuck my nose in somewhere it doesn't belong...

cayuga said:
I have no problems loading the Hornady FPB's in my Genesis. Next time out, I will try them again. I only shot five of them so far as I did not want to waste them.

If you want the two packages of FPB's I have left, you can have them for paying the shipping - shoot me a PM

As for the crud in the breech plug, you might say its one of BlackHorns ghosts. It suddenly appears. I will venture to say, the build up started the first time you shot, and then this second time you just finished plugging the fire channel up. I noticed the same thing too.

This is interesting to me. I was shooting the backup breech plug I got recently. Upon cleaning, I closely compared the two breechplugs. The backup plug's iginition hole is noticably smaller than the one that came with the rifle. The origional one is .032" as best I can measure with a snug fitting wire, this wire will NOT enter the backup breech plug's hole.

Perhaps the smaller hole is why it crudded up faster? ? ?

I'd surely like to hear from more experienced shooters on this one.

Thanks

Things that make you go Hmmmmmmmm...............

flame channel

Tripple 7 will fill up your flame channel just as bad as BH 209. Its not unique to BH. Regular use of the drill is required on all powders in my guns
wayles

CarlV,

My buddy has a Genisis as well.

Concerning the FPB's, he does not have a problem loading them, if he starts them perfectly straight and level. Then they go right down. Not sure if that would help. In my Sidekick, it is the same. At first I was having difficulties, but with a little practice, no problems.

I will venture to say, the build up started the first time you shot
I agree after about twenty shots mine will hesitate to light as well i just bring a drill bit with mine and clear that channel good as new.[/quote]

CarlV thanks for the range report ..i also switched to Knight bullets labled as Barnes PBT "NEW" EZ Load sabots. and in my ML [ENCORE]they are much easier to load than the HORNADY SST ...

i am waiting to see some tests results [pictures]of the BARNES after impact at 100yds...to see if they really open up as stated on they're site.

as for the breech plug ,i clean mine after every 2 shots ,no big deal it only takes a minute ,and slow's me down on the range, also the barrel cooles down ..

this post really got my attention .... : :!:

Good range report CarlV!

These guys have covered most of you questions :D

But if you get a chance could you post a pic of that Back-Up Breech plug, side by side with the one you shot with, for a comparison?

And like UC always says...if ya use the Macro setting(Little Flower Symbol) on your camera, it gets up close for better detail :wink: 8)

lane said:
But if you get a chance could you post a pic of that Back-Up Breech plug, side by side with the one you shot with, for a comparison?

I'll be happy to, Lane. Watch for my post on the actual measurements and drilling out the Traditions BP to .035" once I recieve the drill bits I had to order (since you can't by ANYTHING in this up-north hick town :))

I'll also have the measurements and pictures showing the differance in headspace for the two BP's.

Back