Rampant Lion

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hilljack1

Reaction score
This is a project I have been working on, it is a Virginia style rifle, Colrain "A" swamped barrel, grade 3 Maple, Late English flintlock, Davis double set triggers...I carved a Rampant Lion on the stock in honor of my Scottish heritage, the Lion is reared up on it's back legs roaring in defiance to all the world...This shows the progression and the final product...

CRL5_zpsdeinn72y.jpg

Beginning the carving

CRL3_zpsc2yinqyi.jpg

Working the outline

Carving%20Rampant%20Lion_zpsg2cvqfgz.jpg

Background is complete, using a chipping style for texture

CRL4_zpsmtj5ddsp.jpg

First part of staining

CRL2_zpsu1zdwuff.jpg

Final product, the project took approximately 4 hours from start to finish

Rampant%20Lion%2010_zpskwdzl9kn.jpg

The final work on the furniture is in progress along with the final coats on the stock...This has been a really fun project....

YMHS
Hilljack

Great job I love to see projects that just make a gun come alive. Makes it one of a kind  for the owner.
Mark

It's a beauty and the lion looks fantastic! I noticed the irregular horizontal line on the fore-end. Is it the outline of a mountainous landscape or your latest EKG? ;)

I've always wanted to shoot a rifle with a swamped barrel to feel how it balanced. How about schooling me/us in the nuances of a swamped barrel?

Awesome craftsmanship Hilljack!  Thanks for posting. :Red tup:

Thanks to all for the remarks....I like making them and shooting them also...Working on a couple of Tennessee rifles...I finished a Tennessee rifle in cherry a while back...A common mans rifle...

CS%20Finished%20Product%202_zpsom1z9zk6.jpg

CS%20Finished%20Product_zpstswenbr3.jpg

These are the style of rifle I like to make....

YMHS
Hilljack

Latest posts

Back