Ramrod questions

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
OK guys I know several of you hunt with your SMLs so I'm wondering how you carry your ramrods. I've looked into the collapsible ones and hearing both positive and negatives on them.
I was thinking of just using a regular range rod and carry it on the side of my backpack in a small bow quiver. I could mount it low enough so it wouldn't hang up in low overhead brush and can put the :bonnet" end of the quiver down so the ramrod won't fall out. Arrows have a slightly smaller diameter so the rubber on the quiver should hold a ramrod securely.Thoughts or ideas!

I carry a Range Rod in my backpack or chair bag for stand hunting. If I was to still hunt, I would carry a collapsible in my fanny pack.

I carry a homemade collapsible rod with a spinjag, in its pouch, in my small bag along with extra powder tubes, bullets, sabots, etc. I ,also, carry a spare collapsible rod, just in case.

The ramrod that Encore is suggesting is a good one. The ramrod comes with a carrying case that has a belt loop and you can carry on your belt, also the ramrod folds small enough to carry in your pocket, if need be. they are pretty strong too & does a good job loading. I have one & are pretty good. So if you decide you might like it. But one thing you can only use for loading not for cleaning!;)

Last edited:
The ramrod that Encore is suggesting is a good one. The ramrod comes with a carrying case that has a belt loop and you can carry on your belt, also the ramrod folds small enough to carry in your pocket, if need be. they are pretty strong too & does a good job loading. I have one & are pretty good. So if you decide you might like it. But one thing you can only use for loading not for cleaning!;)
How do you know this about cleaning ? Lol

I carry the supplied ramrod in the rifle but remove it when I get to my stand.
Just curious, why? All of my BP rifles come with a ramrod under the barrel. On my TC’s I’ve cut a small groove in the ramrod wood all around so that the retention clip holds it in place and it can’t work out the front. For the range I have a Cabela’s one piece aluminum “range rod” with a T-handle that’s threaded for bore attachments.

These folding / collapsible ones sound great, but if there’s one on the rifle already…?

Just curious, why? All of my BP rifles come with a ramrod under the barrel. On my TC’s I’ve cut a small groove in the ramrod wood all around so that the retention clip holds it in place and it can’t work out the front. For the range I have a Cabela’s one piece aluminum “range rod” with a T-handle that’s threaded for bore attachments.

These folding / collapsible ones sound great, but if there’s one on the rifle already…?
Some do not like the ramrod in the rifle. Actually my rifle doesn't even have a place for one. For range work, I use a range rod that's SS.
For hunting, where I'm not going to be swabbing the barrel, I use the folding rod.

Why? Because some of the smokeless muzzies are made without ramrod holders & you need a ramrod to load, so guys get the foldable ramrod. and also because of what Encore mentioned above.

Some do not like the ramrod in the rifle. Actually my rifle doesn't even have a place for one. For range work, I use a range rod that's SS.
For hunting, where I'm not going to be swabbing the barrel, I use the folding rod.
Makes sense, thanks! I always carry a ball starter as well, my .50 TC flintlock muzzle is super tight even with a thin patch, but am thinking of making a smaller more portable one, as I just need to get past the first inch of bore. With a folding rod I’d only be concerned it would be rigid enough when locked open, but it sounds like they are.

Latest posts

Back