Range closed by DNR VA Fauquier

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
C.F. Phelps WMA: Sighting-In Range Closure Virginia.
The Phelps WMA sighting-in range will be closed, effective immediately, until further notice. Due to the recent heavy snows, downed trees and limbs are obstructing the range access road. From web site.
The road was cleared up on the 11th, there were only a few less than 6 inch limbs down from the snow storm on the 3rd. A two hour job at most. Remember the I 95 fiasco in VA. I walked the road to the range and it was totally clear on the 11th. I was stopped and asked what I was doing there on the road by the phelps personal. I was hoping to be arrested for trespassing. Didn't happen. Was told range would be closed indefinitely for safety. The area has had an influx of the money folks from the MDW area and they don't like the noise or traffic. Feel free to help get this PUBLIC range back open. There is no shortage of Squirrels, rabbits, doves or deer. But the seasons are 1/3 of the surrounding area. The horse people ride there all the time especially on weekends. Horse don't like the gunfire. In fact the winery adjoining has a kill permit. New Hunter/Veteran friendly Governor coming Saturday. Yes these food fights have been ongoing. But the non hunters/shooters are winning.

Thanks for posting, i tried to go there about 2 weeks ago and it was packed so just left and went back home. As a WMA I don't see how they could have hit you for trespassing. Hopefully it will reopen soon. I have a couple, new to me muzzleloaders I want to shoot.

The access gate at main road was closed and locked. But gate to range itself was open. It does say at the range gate no trespassing if closed. Like all Virginia WMA, its a permit fee area. But its not enforced. Hunting licence is your permit. That's what paid for the land/upkeep. Hunters are losing ground/hunting rights at every WMA every year in virginia. We have several there is no hunting or very limited hunting now . But on the bright side we are gaining ground/hunting rights at all the Federal areas in VA. Yes I'm a trouble maker.

Went online just this morning to verify open hours this morning and saw the closure notice. Closing indefinitely for fallen trees is rediculous.
I agree with one-shot, this reeks of politics.

Del Webert is the new whip, (this area) drafting a e-mail to him tomorrow. Folks our Licenses/tax on ammo/and guns pay for these places. (In all states) Some of you folks here answered my last call for help with input for the federal areas and we now have a longer season and more species to hunt. And I and my bad leg have more places to park and less distance to walk at the federal refugees. I thank you for your input and help.

The notice is down, from site. No response from anyone yet (I have hope). May try tomorrow as I have a need to sight in slug guns. Got in some of the non lead slugs and I have a hunt coming up at Banshee for deer.

Hope you can get to the range! My only public range is on the other side of the mountain in WV on National Forrest land. It is closed from Jan.1-May1 every year. I would like to get over there, but right now too dangerous with snow on the ground. It's over a mile off the main road....

Hoping for good news, one-shot. Thanks for sharing the newest information and good luck with those new slugs and hunt.

Went to Phelps today. Was able to shoot 6 muzzleloaders, not crowded at all. Out of the 6, I was able to sight in 5 of them; 3 Wolfs and 2 Optima's. All shooting was at 100yds. For powder I shot 777, BH209 and Black Mz, bullets in the 240 to 300 gr range. I could not get the CVA Kodiak to sight in and actually ran out of lateral adjustment. It has a 3-9 Redfield on it. I'll end up taking it off and re-mounting or trying another scope. Bullet was the Federal 270 Bor Lok over 110 grs of BH 209.

Overall it was a great sunny day, no hassles from work - cell service there is horrible and I was able to do some shooting!
John

A bad day at the range/hunting is better than a good day at work.
Still getting the runaround about DNR. What good are e-mails if you don't answer them. Just the wrong kind of eye candy. I agree with the Governor we need a tattle tale site, not just for teachers. Webert has been "ZERO" help.

Back