Range Day Tomorrow - Clean Between Shots With Blackhorn 209?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I generally stand my gun upright between shots. In the shade if possible. But on a bright sunshiny day leaving it horizontal will make it take longer to cool

I have a stainless barrel that I shot, but forgot to clean it for three months. I have corrosion and pitting in that barrel. So while I do not hesitate to load for a hunt and leave it loaded for 1 to 2 weeks, I always clean it when I get through with that hunt. FYI, I still shoot that gun and it still is very accurate

I doubt a clean bore matters until you get to 10 shots but I usually quick clean my bore after 4-5 and that‘s partly because it give the barrel time to cool.

I use Jeff’s (Bestill Creations) recommendation & swab between shots with a 50/50 mix of #9 & 91% Isopropyl alcohol. Neutralizes the caustic barrel pitters while leaving the bore fouled enough.
In Michigan our hunting weather can go from 70 & rainy to single digits & snow very quickly. Leaving my gun dirty from the range, then a month of hunting caused etching in one stainless barrel. It did not affect the accuracy at all but it upset me enough to change my stance on swabbing with BH209

Greg

There will be a pressure difference between a clean barrel and a fouled barrel. You will often feel a difference in resistance when loading the bullet/sabot.

It takes more time to shoot groups with a clean barrel, but you also reduce the chance of corrosion by having a clean barrel while you are waiting on the monster buck to show up.

Pretty easy to decide for yourself in 1 session. Shoot one to foul the barrel, then shoot 5 shots without cleaning at all. Then run a cleaning patch down between every shot the next 5 shots. Any noticeable difference between the groups?

Personally I sometimes run a dry patch down after 10-12 shots. But I have shot as many as 28-30 times without swabbing at all. Couldn’t really tell the difference.

I always just use a dry patch. I NEVER use any cleaning solution of any sort during a range session. Why would you? Why introduce anything wet or oily into your barrel between shots? Prob not an issue for a range session but to do that in the field would scare me that some of it would filter back to the powder if left in the barrel for a day or two. I dont see any valid reason to do that.

Last edited:
I used only B209 in my inline rifles and have never cleaned between shots.

I now realize that shooting too quickly in the past has likely decreased my accuracy.

I am reading of guys saying they wait ten minutes between shots. That seems crazy.

But I will wait a couple minutes at least, and if I am, I might as well swab the bore, I am thinking, even though I know many claim it would make accuracy worse. I don't think that'll be the case as long as there is consistency.

I would like to get some data points from those that shoot Blackhorn 209:

- How long do you wait between shots?
- Do you swab, and if so with what?
Like you, I shoot BH209 exclusively. I shoot it in both my muzzleloaders...a CVA Accura V2 Plains Rifle 50 cal and a CVA Paramount 45 cal. I know I don't have to swab between shots but I still do for two reasons. First of all, all I do is one dry swab...a dry patch over my SpinJag jag. This does two things... it removes any loose particles and it creates a repeatable situation. The other thing it does is it slows me down and exposes the bore to fresh air. I can go from the range regardless of the number of shots I shoot and I go to the next shooting situation exactly as I left the last shooting situation. I'm on target without a fouling shot. And my overall accuracy is more consistent which inspires confidence which anybody that has ever shot competitively knows is of the utmost importance. Accuracy starts and finishes in the mind.

Last edited:
“I can go from the range regardless of the number of shots I shoot and I go to the next shooting situation exactly as I left the last shooting situation. I'm on target without a fouling shot”

Not sure what you mean by this. Do you not clean your rifle after a session at the range?

“I can go from the range regardless of the number of shots I shoot and I go to the next shooting situation exactly as I left the last shooting situation. I'm on target without a fouling shot”

Not sure what you mean by this. Do you not clean your rifle after a session at the range?
No...I do not. I don't clean my bore til after hunting season is over. I have not found it necessary using BH209. I'm always shooting on a fouled bore. I do however clean my breech plug after every 5 shots. Both my rifles have been converted to the Arrowhead LRMP breech plug which because of the hotter ignition reduces fouling dramatically and because the Arrowhead modules seal the breech completely I don't get all of that mess either.

I did that for awhile but one year forgot about the gun until Maybe April. It had some rust and pitting. That was a Knight LRH with a stainless barrel. Now I clean the barrel if I won’t be shooting for more than 2 weeks. Still shoots accurately though.

That was with BH 209

I did that for awhile but one year forgot about the gun until Maybe April. It had some rust and pitting. That was a Knight LRH with a stainless barrel. Now I clean the barrel if I won’t be shooting for more than 2 weeks. Still shoots accurately though.

That was with BH 209
As they say...to each his own.

Back